Thread: Dick Allen
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 04:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKlu59 View Post
That seemed to be Richie's (Dick's) thorn in the flesh... Almost self sabotaging in some respects. He was the Wizz Kid In Philly, only to have have issues just when he was hitting stride, same with the Sox. Tough call with the personal issues. I chalk it up to being so talented that a perception by teammates that he was going thru the motions and an aloofness rubbed some the wrong way.

In both cases he carried both those franchises with little or no support. I agree if he had had a solid 5-7 year or more career with the Sox, he would be in the top 5 of all time. He pulled my heart and head out of the dumps with that 72 season and made me feel proud again to be a Sox fan..

BK59
The 72 season was great but the 71 season was the one that made me feel good again. After the 56-106 season in 1970, Hemond and Tanner turned the team around improving by 23 games. Melton led the league in HRs, Wilbur Wood had a great year winning 22 games with a 1.91 ERA and Harry Caray in his first year on the Southside made it all sound all so exciting. When we got Allen in a trade in the off-season things were really looking up for 1972.