Thread: Dick Allen
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 08:56 AM
WSI Personality

Default Dick Allen

I noticed the baseball card of Dick Allen on the main page and it made me think about a Suntimes poll of the greatest Whitesox players of alltime, I think he was ranked as the 6th best Whitesox player in franchise history. I always disagreed with that ranking due to he only played 3 years for the Sox but after reading about the card on the main page it says he made the Sox relavent again. I suppose there would be truth to that but I always thought he was disliked by players and fans when he was here.

I look at him alot different nowdays and if you go by saber stats, some say he should be in the Hall of Fame. I personally feel Minoso or Pierce are better candidates for the hall but I can see how there could be a argument. He really did have a historical season in 1972 winning the MVP with a 199 ops+ which is Babe Ruth like numbers. He won a Rookie of the Year in 1964 and ended up with a 55 career WAR which is pretty good for a guy who played only 15 years. Obviously he's hurt by his attitude and playing more than half his career as a first baseman instead of a thirdbaseman.

The Suntimes must have ranked him so high because maybe he did help bring fans back but I still would rank these guys over Allen.

In no order
1. Frank Thomas
2. Paul Konerko....when the poll was done I don't know if he makes my list.
3. Carlton Fisk
4. Harold Baines
5. Luke Appling
6. Ted Lyons
7. Red Faber
8. Nellie Fox
9. Luis Aparicio
10. Minnie Minoso
11. Billy Pierce
12. Joe Jackson
13. Eddie Collins
14. Ozzie Guillen
15. Magglio Ordonez
16. Ray Schalk
17. Robin Ventura
18. Ed Walsh
19. Wilbur Wood
20. Mark Buehrle....same guideline as Konerko
21. A.J. Pierszynski.....ditto
22. Hoyt Wilhelm
23. Doc White
24. Bill Melton
25. Sherm Lollar
26. Jim Landis
27. Eddie Cicotte
28. Joe Horlen
29. Gary Peters
30. Buck Weaver
31. Johnny Mostil
32. Zeke Bonura...close call
33. Chet Lemon
34. Willie Kamm
35. Fielder Jones
36. Thornton Lee
37. Jack McDowell
38. Tommy John

I think all these guys had better overall Whitesox careers than Allen. Did he really make that big of an impact for the Whitesox in 1972-1974? Sorry if theres already a Dick Allen thread on this.

Last edited by chicagowhitesox1; 10-28-2012 at 09:54 AM.