Thread: World Series
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 11:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Detroit does not hit left-handed pitching well, nor does it play well on the road.

I don't know that it was necessarily the layoff that cooled the Detroit bats. Rather, these two games have just been the continuation of season-long trends.
True, but Verlander on extra rest was supposed to negate the Giants' homefiueld advantage, just as he negated the A's homefield advantage by pitching ALDS Game 5 in Oakland.

The Tigers can blame the layoff and the homefield disadvantage, the latter being what they would have done if they had lost the ALDS in five to Oakland after grabbing a 2-0 lead at home.

Tonight's game probably could have gone either way. The Tigers probably should have scored, probably would have if they hadn't sent Fielder home on the Young double. The game being scoreless going into the seventh, I have know idea why Leyland conceded the first run of the game so late in the game to get the double play.

Even going into the half inning, I didn't understand why Leyland replaced Young defensely without taking out Fister. Fister was obviously on a short leash, and in fact he was taken out after allowing Pence to reach. Leyland could have double-switched with Young. Instead, he used one more backup outfielder than he needed to in a late close important game on the road

Leyland didn't send Fielder to be thrown out at the plate for the first out of the inning, but from that point, he was outmanaged. It was good to see.

The series is a long way from over, but even if the Tigers sweep in Detroit, they can't win without winning in San Francisco. And the Giants are 4-2 on the road this postseason, beating teams I believe were better than the Tigers.