Thread: World Series
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 01:42 PM
WSI Prelate

I love seeing Verlnader get beat up, especially with the way the announcers are building him up. I love seeing the announcers talk about how Verlander pitching to Zito is the most lopsided matchup imaginable just before Zito gets a two-out RBI single against Verlander. I love seeing Valverde get knocked around. Celebrate this. And I love seeing the Tigers lose.

It's only one game. The Giants won the first game at home. If the Tigers win tonight, they still have a chance to end the series in Detroit with Verlander pitching Game 5. The Giants won two of three in Detroit in interleague play last year with Zito throwing six shutout innings in the first game, but that was last year with a different Tigers rotation, Aaron Rowand leading off for the Giants, Chris Stewart catching for the Giants etc., and it was July.

Still, Verlander is supposed to be unbeatable. That's the way the Bay Area media was putting it during the A's series. The A's lost two of five to the Tigers, but won two of three in games that Verlander didn't start. When I saw Zito was pitching against Verlander in the opener, I cringed at the matchup. And the Tigers were the overmatched team on the field Wednesday night.

Tonight's game is the big game. Bumgarner seemed done in his last start. Hopefully his rest punctuated with help from his pitching coach on his delivery will make a big difference. And hopefully, Fister will be less of a challenge than Verlander. Cain and Voglesong will get starts in Detroit, but the Giants have been frustrated by Sanchez in the past.

Tonight's game is huge. San Francisco fans know that this could be the last game in AT&T this year, whether they get another parade or not. I hope they get a chance to enjoy it, just as Sox fans got a chance to enjoy the last game at the Cell in 2005.

I just hope they don't go off again chanting for Barry Mainilow.