View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 09:13 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24thStFan View Post
According to the USA Today 2012 MLB salaries database, the White Sox ranked 11th in total payroll. By comparison, the highest ranked club, not surprisingly the Yankees, had a payroll over 101 million dollars higher!

I've been a Sox fan for 58 years and can remember my dad telling me that the Sox would never win anything because they were "cheap." I think this perception continues even today, which may partially explain the attendance issue. I KNOW that in the recent past, the Sox have opened up the purse strings a little, but I still contend that the average fan sees the organization as "cheap."

If the Sox want to REALLY want to make a statement to the fans, spend some money and sign our own and some other big name free agents. We need to compete with the Yankees, Phillies, Red Sox, Angels, Tigers in terms of payroll.

This is Chicago, we should have a big market mentality and be able to attract big name players. It's time to put up the money and show the fans that we're not going to concede the central division to freaking Detroit.
Unfortunately it goes back to the chicken and egg argument. The Sox will spend money fans show up and fans claim they will show up when the team spends money. It is my opinion that the Sox held up their end of the bargain. Jerry started to spend the cash when Sox were drawing nearly 3 million in 2006.

Anticipated next game: Unknown