View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 11:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I disagree. I think it's a function of a shallow roster, which is a function of this organization's long-term refusal to pay for top amateur talent in the draft, inability to develop fundamentally sound position players, and thus necessity to trade its limited supply of promising prospects to fill holes with mediocre and/or expensive veterans.
That may be part of the reason but there's got to be more to it. Some thought Ozzie went with too many Sunday line ups throughout the course of the whole season. He didn't just institute them after the All Star Break. So guys were getting days off (or multiple days off as Ozzie scheduled off days around the schedule) and thus they should have been fresher in the second half.

Also, why do our guys get tired and fade. Didn't Cabrera and Prince play 160 games this year. They didn't fade, and Prince is fat. Verlander has thrown the most pitches of any pitcher in baseball 3 of the last 4 years. He hasn't faded.

There's got to be more to it. I was hoping that when Robin took over, some of those trends that happened under Ozzie would stop (ie second half fades, losing tough luck games to Minnesota, bad west coast trips). To Robin's defense, this years bench was not very good.

But there are some teams that seem to have a history of heating up in the second half. The A's and definitely the Cards come to mind. What is the difference between them and us? Is it the youth of the A's? If they faded, inexperience would be an issue. Is this years A's bench really that much better then ours? They had a tougher schedule and a tiny payroll then the Sox. And the Cardinals have this switch that clicks on in August and runs through October.

There's more to this. I wish I had answers.

Bob