View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 04:08 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
I don't hate the division rivals. I want them to lose when it benefits the Sox, but I actually respect what they have done with very little in some cases. The Yankees constant dominance, achieved by having more money than anyone else, is bad for the American League, and bad for baseball. They get all the benefits of a free market (getting to keep their bloated revenue) while having none of the disadvantages (they can and would block another team from moving in to their territory, which could EASILY support another team.) They sign whatever free agents they want, and can keep their own talent from leaving via free agency by outbidding everyone else.
Apparently I was mistaken, but I thought you hated the Yankees going back to the 1960s and 1950s, the way most Sox fans hated the Yankees, because they were bitter rivals.

Yankee hatred existed and was widespread before free agency, although there always seemed a monetary aspect. The decade when baseball had both a reserve clause and an amateur draft coincides with the decade since the 1920s when the Yankees didn't contend. But the money when the Yankees stood between the White Sox and a couple more championships in the decade before the amatuer draft was smaller in scale. I don't see how anyone with a soul could have been rooting for the Yankees over the Brooklyn Dodgers in those World Series matchups.

I can't wish ill will on the Tigers for six months and feel good about watching them win in the postseason. I can't ever feel good about cheering for the Yankees. I know there are Cubs fans who would never cheer for the Cardinals in the World Series. I had a supervisor at my job in 2005 who told me when the Cardinals and Astros where in the NLCS playing to face the White Sox that as a Cubs fan, a World Series between the White Sox and Cardinals would be his worst nightmare.