View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 02:38 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
The point overall is that a pitcher's W-L record is kind of a pointless stat; Floyd may be .500 since 2009 but in that time, he's also had only 5 cheap wins (wins in non-QS starts) and 11 tough losses (losses in QS). The Sox bullpen has also lost more games where he was in line to win than the offense has come back to win games for him over that span.

Floyd's certainly had his struggles, but citing his W-L record doesn't really show anything of value.
I think 4 years or 120 starts is a decent sampling. Every starting pitcher is affected by the team around them. Pitchers on good offensive teams certainly have an advantage over those on weak teams. Those on teams with strong bullpens also have an advantage. But we are judging Gavin Floyd on the White Sox. He is 45-48 the last 4 years and his ERA has risen from his only good year at 3.84 to the 4.30 he has been the last 2 years. Chris Sale had the same offense and bullpen behind him as Floyd did this year and he put up huge numbers. I agree some guys, like Peavy this year, have good years and a lousy record. But 4 years takes out some of the numeric oddities.

If I was a betting person, Gavin Floyd will be a .500 pitcher next year as well if he stays on the White Sox.