View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 12:42 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Just because you don't want to see the Sox go into a death spiral at the MLB level doesn't mean you're not adverse to seeing them build up some decent prospects in-house. It's not an all-or-none question. But when push comes to shove, what is more important to fans? The MLB team or the farm system? I'd be wary of any fan that answered for the latter over the former.
I'd like to add that a highly-regarded farm system doesn't necessarily translate to success at the MLB level. A friend of mine grew up in the Kansas City area and is a Royals fan. He was just telling me the other day he's sick of hearing about all these great prospects Kansas City supposedly has. He's been hearing about a great farm system for six or seven years. Meanwhile, he's still got an irrelevant, 90-loss team to follow at the big-league level.

I know we have some fans here who think the Royals are good because they beat up on the Sox. Trust me, the Royals are terrible. Ask a Kansas City fan sometime how that "great farm system" is working out for them.

Folks who are wanting a full rebuild need to be careful what you wish for. It's remarkable to me that anyone living in Chicago would call for the Sox to do such a thing. We all see the horrors that are going on at Wrigley, right? I don't want to go through that. I just don't. I'd much rather tolerate the frustrations that go along with an 85-win season than go through a rebuild while being promised a future that may never come.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/