View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 09:31 AM
WSI Personality

Since I am a die-hard White Sox fan living in New England, I don't share the Cub hatred that many White Sox fans do. I am just glad Theo is out of Boston. Obviously the Red Sox spend money, but what Theo accomplished in Boston with their minor league system was very frustrating to a die hard White Sox fan. At one time, the Red Sox just went out and bought talent because their minor league was terrible. But that all changed w Theo. It didn't take them long before they were producing quality talent from the minors. Players like Buchholz, Pedroia, Papelbon, Youk, Ellsbury etc. It seemed in the last 6-7 years, that every time they got an injury, they could get by with some call-up who played like they belonged for a month or so. As a White Sox fan, it was frustrating because it seemed like every time we needed an emergency call-up, they were lucky to hit their weight.
The last few years, when the Red Sox had an outfield injury, up would come Josh Reddick. I would watch this kid and say how come the White Sox never seem to have someone this good waiting in the wings. When Reddick got hurt filling in for JD Drew who was hurt, they brought up Ryan Kalish who looked just as good as Reddick. When Youk started having problems this year, up comes Middlebrooks. He looked like a stud his first month. Luckily for us, he made Youk expendable but it is frustrating watching a team you hate that always seems to have viable options in the minoirs that can fill in on an interim basis.

So I wouldn't write Theo off. If the Cubs spend like Boston did, I would bet he will have their farm system well stocked in 2-3 years. I am glad to see him gone from Boston because his replacement has not had a good start.