Thread: Kenny Speaks
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 12:24 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Apparently the plan to develop more retail business around U.S. Cellular Field has reached a dead-end. Kenny comments on that and other things regarding Sox attendance issues:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,3093254.story

Lip
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
The Sox don't want it, either. You can't build a lively, fun entertainment district with the park as its centerpiece if it's surrounded by empty parking lots. Biggest problem with U.S. Cellular Field is that it's a park designed for the suburbs that got dropped in the city. People make fun of Wrigley for being a bar with a field in the middle of it, but that helps it anchor one of Chicago's most lively entertainment districts, even though it's farther away from the central core than Bridgeport. Sox Park was a soulless, sterile shopping mall with a field in the middle. It was designed to be built in some suburban wasteland like Addison or wherever, not to anchor a thriving urban neighborhood.

Jerry and Rocky are learning this lesson with the United Center, which has absolutely killed gentrification on the West Side, but luckily, Rocky's not a stubborn old man like his dad, and they're starting to chip away at the parking lots in favor of more urban-friendly development.
I have always hated the ugly sea of parking lots surrounding Sox Park. But I don't see current Sox ownership ever allowing anything to be built adjacent to the park, (unless serious outside dollars were committed and the Sox got a piece of the profit). I would be really curious to know what efforts the Sox have made towards retail development (if any) in the surrounding neighborhood.