View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 09:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehozenychicty View Post
Strange feeling this year. The team performed above expectations, even though they slowly withered away like most Sox teams of recent times. It was the definition of bittersweet.
This was the word I was going to use to describe the 2012 season -- bittersweet. The White Sox far exceeded all the experts' predictions and gave us a really fun summer and legitimate playoff hope into the third week of September. For that, I'm grateful. Yet I still have a sour taste in my mouth from the two weeks of dreadful baseball we saw at the end.

I don't think the 1983 and 1993 teams are apt comparisons to this team. The 1983 team was the first Sox team to make it to the post-season since 1959 (the first 24 freaking years of my life)! That should give a bit of perspective to those who are bemoaning the fact that the Sox haven't been to the post-season since 2008. Plus, the 2012 team was nowhere as talented or formidable as the 1983 or 1993 teams. Those teams were as good as any team in baseball those years. I don't think you can say that about the 2012 team.

On the other hand, the 1983 and 1993 teams made it to the post-season and there is a certain validation which comes from simply making it to the playoffs. We didn't achieve "validation" this season.

2012 hurts, but it is a different kind of hurt (on many different levels) than I experienced after the 1983 and 1993 seasons. I'm disappointed, but don't feel like it is a major missed opportunity like I did after our playoff exits in 1983 and 1993. Sorry for the stream-of-conscious rambling.