View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 08:14 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Nobody is talking about anyone getting a hometown discount, there seems to be very little chance Peavy or Youk will find a suitor on the FA market that will pay them what their options for 2013 are worth so they're probably going to have to take a deal that pays them less... Why can't the Sox be the one that does? I haven't heard anything about Youkilis, but Peavy has been pretty clear he likes Chicago and would prefer to come back. Don't know how much truth there is to that, but I think there's at least a pretty good chance he might return unless some other team comes out swinging for the fences. We shall see.
Peavy's option price is $22 million; what do you think his market value is - 2/28 or so? Well, for the Sox to do that, we have to pay 2/32. You almost just as soon do 1/22 and negate the year 2 risk. But the Sox have said that's out of the question. Well if that's out of the question, 2/32 probably is too. But they certainly could do it.
As for Youk, the Sox need a regular 3B. NOt sure Youk is that and we have enough 1B/DH. So to keep Youk, it seems to me we'll have to move Dunn or Konerko and find a regular 3B or 2B (Beckham could move to 3B).