View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 05:48 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
You're lucky you missed the darkest day in the history of Western Civilization.

Damn it, we had LaMarr pitching the next day!!!
And the Orioles were not going to beat Hoyt. I was sitting in the lower deck in left field that day. When Greg Walker singled off Storm Davis to start the bottom of the 7th, I can still remember thinking that the Sox were about to take the game, the series and the World Series. But for one terrible basrunning mistake from Jerry Dybzinski, that all might have happened. It is hard to describe just how close that very strong Sox team was to glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
An interesting offseason awaits.

Every time I see Floyd pitch like this I wonder why he is so damn inconsistent. He's a 12-game winner with 15- to 17-win stuff.
It should be an interesting offseason. And I, too, have no idea why Floyd is so enigmatic. In recent comments, Floyd says that Mark Parent suggested a mechanical change that has improved him greatly. If that is the case -- and the last two outings suggest that he may have turned the corner -- then the Sox may well be advised to bring Floyd back one more time.

The Sox and by all accounts new general manager Rick Hahn have to make a decision on Floyd and a lot of other guys (primarily AJ, Peavy, and Youkilis). I think that Hahn will do well as the new gm. I also am proud that the Sox made the strides that they did this year. In what was really a transitional season, the Sox improved greatly and built a foundation for the future, particularly with the pitching staff and the defense.

So, while looking forward to what should be a fine 2013 season, it's worth saying one more time in 2012: