View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 01:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassagstdu View Post
I remember listening to Harry Caray broadcasting from St Louis when I was in college at UI and being blown away by how good he was. Years later with the Sox he was godawful and impossible to listen to, especially when he droned on and on about what group or family was at the game. I also listened to Prince when I lived in central PA near the end of his career, and he was terrible, constantly moaning about the decline of the Pirates. (Of course that decline proved permanent -- a caution to those of us who favor rebuilding the Sox). In fact Prince sounded a lot like Hawk this year. I have been a big fan of Hawk and won't listen to any other broadcast of a Sox game, but this year he has become a cardboard caricature of himself, and I think his time is up. I like Stone a lot and hope he is the one who stays.
When one achieves Beloved status, it doesn't matter how bad you are. I remember with fondness those family callouts with fractured pronunciations. "The Gingivitis family is here from PEE-otone!" "The Pterodactyl group says hello from Os-WHEE-go!"

Hawk's a tired caricature, you're right. And he hasn't achieved universal Beloved status.