View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 06:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
In looking at the status of this team and overall organization as we close out a disappointing 2012- to what degree do you think it's time for a significant overhaul across the board (not just on the playing field)?
  1. Major league roster- expensive free agent contracts looming for Peavy, Youkilis and AJ (without any real help in the farm system to replace them)- and saddled with Adam Dunn for another 2 years.
  2. Farm System- some good talent that helped the 2012 team (young pitching especially)- but I don't see alot of guys that could potentially help in 2013 where we need the help.
  3. Marketing- After a strong start- I think Brooks Boyer is running out of gas- if you can't draw 2 million when you spend most of the season you're in 1st place and the cross town team is losing 100 games- I think marketing is accountable. "Dynamic pricing", worn out promotions like Mullett Night, etc., mediocre TV and newspaper advertising, etc.- they seem to really have lost their way in this area.
  4. TV & Radio Announcers- IMHO Farmer & DJ are unlistenable- I only listen when I need a score- but I used to like having the radio on in the background while doing other things during the season- but not with these 2- I think both should be dumped. On the TV side- I'm more of a Hawk fan than most- but he showed a noticable decline this season, and the chemistry just isn't there with Stone.
I think this team needs some bold, offseason changes to get back on track- but there's no real evidence that JR has the inclination or the ability to execute aggressive changes quickly.
Interesting thread. I'm late to commenting, but I think I've read most posts. Using the format of the starting post, here are a few thoughts.
[*] Major league roster -- KW made a lot of changes during the season, trying to adjust to the injuries, etc. What struck me all along was that virtually all of those changes were designed to have minimal impact beyond this season. The moves just felt different than in the past. Add in the expiring contracts of veterans like Peavy and AJ. It's almost like they have been setting this up for a big change. Now, they've signed players that were almost out the door in the past -- Konerko, AJ, Buerhle -- and they could do so again, though I won't be surprised if they let AJ and Peavy leave.

But the overall point is that it almost feels like they may have been planning this transition for awhile. It's not just Hahn's promotion.
[*] Minor league system -- Obviously, they are ranked low for a reason. And a few of the top draft picks have moved up to the major league club immediately. But I think that they've been reorganizing this for a couple of years. And it was nice to see Charlotte have a great season. (They lost out in the playoffs, but I'm guessing that was largely due to the Sox needing many of the players.)
[*] Marketing -- I think that the economy -- and its impact on baseball attendance -- turned out to be much worse than they anticipated. It's probably true for many teams in baseball.

I certainly wasn't happy with (and didn't understand) having one of the top ticket costs, though, as many have pointed out, there are ways to get access to lower prices. One would think that dynamic pricing would enable that, but it doesn't sound like it worked that way. But I'd give the dynamic pricing a couple of years to settle out. All of baseball is trying it, and the teams are going to learn from each other.
[*] TV & Radio Announcers -- Certainly, Stone and Hawk won't be back together -- maybe neither. But it just feels like Hawk is done. It's not just the problems during the end-of-season skid. I thought we were doing pretty well when he had the meltdown earlier in the season to which Selig took exception. Maybe they can figure a way to transition him into retirement.

I've been a fan for a long time (about 50 years), so I've seen a lot of good and bad teams and moments. I guess that I'm not overly pessimistic, but, then again, I'm not expecting a WS next year either.