View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 09:18 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldRoman View Post
1) Bull****. The team WAS good. They played winning baseball for most of the year and would have likely would have won the division if not for their total collapse. People who neither understand statistics nor baseball will argue that the last few weeks were regression to the mean, but that's not true at all. "Oh, they are only talented enough to be a few over .500, so that means they will go 11-17 in September and hit something like .100 with RISP over the entire month". It doesn't work out like that. Those people were also wrong about Detroit being so great and being able to turn it on at any minute.

2) The point of watching baseball is to enjoy the game and see winning. I suppose a few clowns were midly peeved that their gloom-and-doom predictions were wrong, so they stayed away from the park and said "daaaah, dese guys suck and dey won't win anyways." Well, even if the team secretly wasn't good and you just knew in your heart of hearts that they would go 11-17 in September, the point is that those fools still missed out on a summer of exciting, winning baseball. You can't count on a playoff team every single year, but any summer where the team plays well, wins, and competes deep into the season is a pretty good one. So some dumbasses said being in first place and winning wasn't enough for them to enjoy a single July game because they thought the team would collapse in September. Well, those people should stop watching baseball all together.
Winning baseball and good baseball aren't always the same thing.

Some of our players were good, others are wastes of an at-bat or a pitching appearance. And if you want to discount September, take a look at our season-long player stats. There's maybe 10 guys who stand out and the rest of the 15-20 guys are mediocre at best to borderline awful. I'm not expecting a perfect roster, but there are obvious and eventually fatal flaws.

So often this year we had to sit through bad baseball while we did enough to win at just over a .500 clip.

But I still had fun at the park this year, regardless.