View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 11:55 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
And, this is always the question that doesn't get answered, HOW MUCH MONEY do the Sox make compared to other teams at the gate? Sure, we're in the bottom 3rd of butts in seats, but with the price of tickets, etc. we have to be in the top 1/2 if not 1/3 of money brought in.

People seem to treat the Sox management like they're a bunch of dopes that have no idea what they're doing, but I'm telling, you this is their plan now, they set the tickets to what they figure will get them around 25 K every night (about 50-60% of the park) in most years and they make their cash that way and then, if the team really puts it together, they're in line for a HUGE payday. Look, if the Sox are filling the park up 100%, then there's nowhere to go, right? If you're making money with 1/2 the stadium filled, why not do it?
This is a great point and I do suspect you are exactly right. I've thought the same for awhile in regards to why prices are the way they are. It seems to me that the ownership might be great at running the franchise as a business in terms of maximizing revenue and making sure the team stays afloat for the long term, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Lack of attendance in a playoff race. Lack of coverage and a general lack of buzz. There's no way for me to prove "buzz," but I can tell you that there was none. In the past, when the team's doing well, you can tell just walking around the streets of the city. There's some excitement. You see Sox hats everywhere in the loop. People talk about the team. This year, there was none of that. Obviously my observations are anecdotal, but believe me, there was no buzz. The product is stale. The broadcast is stale. The organization needs a shot in the arm. IMO, a youth movement along with re-branding the image is a good place to start.
...in terms of how they run the business when it comes marketing that business and selling it, it seems they do a terrible job at it. That marketing I think has definitely become stale. If the problem is they can't sell their players to the public, the answer isn't to change the players; change the players only if that is the best plan for improving the play on the field. If they can't sell that product, then they have to change their way of selling it.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.