View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 12:08 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Konerko is done. AJ will never repeat this year and Rios may also be having a career year. They're older next year and I expect regression from all 3. Go ahead and keep them, finish with 85 wins again and we're in the same place next year.
Konerko may or may not be done. With one year left on his contract, I'm willing to find out for sure. AJ may be gone, which would be OK with me. I agree that someone will likely overpay for him, unless he is willing to give the Sox a deep, deep hometown discount. Rios has always been an enigma, but you've got to be completely out of your mind if you think Keenyn Walker or Trayce Thompson or even Jared Mitchell are ready to play RF in the Majors everyday. It's absurd.

I'll take the aging core that can be likely counted on for 85 wins and see if I can find 5-10 more wins by bringing in a few key guys that give the team some roster flexibility and help keep the vets fresh. It's a much more desirable plan to me than blowing the team up with absolutely no blueprint and stumbling to a 62-100 season. You'd think someone living in Chicago, watching the Cubs would have some sense as to how horrible that is.