View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 04:53 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I think his point isn't that they need to constantly win the World Series but the White Sox need to have a sustained period of winning (and by winning I mean making the playoffs) in order to excite the fan base. Since 2005 the Sox have been about a .500 club and what .500 club manages to draw over 30,000 consistently? If the White Sox could go on a stretch like the Indians had in the 1990s or the Twins had in the early 2000s or even like the Tigers are having now, even if they don't win a single playoff series, I think their attendance issues will more or less disappear. But one trip to the playoffs once every four years by a team that wins 88 games in a bad division just isn't going to cut it for this fan base.
What a crock of ****. The Sox need to go on an extended run like the '90s Indians or '00 Twins? Well then we're ****ed, because the reason you can name those teams so easily off the top of your head is that IT DOESN'T HAPPEN THAT OFTEN. I'm not saying the Sox aren't to take some blame for the attendance issues (though, as previously noted, I'm not entirely sure this isn't their plan all along anyway), but there's also a hefty amount of responsibility on the fanbase. For years, it's been the same old same old bull****, Oh, we don't come out if the team's not winning... Guess what? The Sox spent most of the season in 1st place, had the 3rd best record in the AL as late as the middle of August, and people still didn't bother to show up. So whatever the problem is, that's not it.