View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 03:41 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Right, but does that have to do with Sox fans' spontaneous ability to show up when the team is winning or is it more just thanks to the marketing of playoff and World Series tickets that drew fans to the park? I mean, if the Sox need to win the World Series every year to generate buzz then we're ****ed and may as well just stop having these conversations.
I think his point isn't that they need to constantly win the World Series but the White Sox need to have a sustained period of winning (and by winning I mean making the playoffs) in order to excite the fan base. Since 2005 the Sox have been about a .500 club and what .500 club manages to draw over 30,000 consistently? If the White Sox could go on a stretch like the Indians had in the 1990s or the Twins had in the early 2000s or even like the Tigers are having now, even if they don't win a single playoff series, I think their attendance issues will more or less disappear. But one trip to the playoffs once every four years by a team that wins 88 games in a bad division just isn't going to cut it for this fan base.

Go Sox!!!