View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 01:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
In terms of marketing the team, Steve Stone is the worst thing to happen to the Sox in the past four years.

I'm surprised so many people are oblivious to this fact.

I'd take Hawk and DJ back in a heartbeat over Stone being in the booth. I don't think at this point that is the solution to the problem, but it's a statement to the fact that the Sox fanbase wants to listen homer announcers, either on the radio or tv side. Even John Rooney was a homer announcer. Steve Stone has gone out of his way to be as anti-homer and unenthusiastic about the Sox product as anyone possibly could, whether goofing on how bad the bobbleheads looked this year, to making fun of fans eating food in the stands when the tv cameras are on them, to refusing to show any enthusiasm after a big Sox hit or homer. Steve Stone hasn't sold a ticket to a Sox game since he joined the radio side in 2008.
Announcers can be homers to the point of being a negative on the marketing end. For one thing, the Sox play c. 25 games on WGN - that's the opportunity to develop a national fan base. Harrelson doesn't cut it. He's not lovable like Harry. A professional announcer would be better.
Rooney was first and foremost a PROFESSIONAL announcer. He was a homer in the sense of most baseball PBP people are homer...which is to say he was nothing like Harrelson. And if you bring Wimpy back with Hawk, it's Hawk to the 4th power.
I like Stone, but I see your point there.
I think the big problem is that there are really zero professional announcers on the Sox team (although I consider Stone one because he's done it for a long time and with many teams).