View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 08:40 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
In terms of marketing the team, Steve Stone is the worst thing to happen to the Sox in the past four years.

I'm surprised so many people are oblivious to this fact.

I'd take Hawk and DJ back in a heartbeat over Stone being in the booth. I don't think at this point that is the solution to the problem, but it's a statement to the fact that the Sox fanbase wants to listen homer announcers, either on the radio or tv side. Even John Rooney was a homer announcer. Steve Stone has gone out of his way to be as anti-homer and unenthusiastic about the Sox product as anyone possibly could, whether goofing on how bad the bobbleheads looked this year, to making fun of fans eating food in the stands when the tv cameras are on them, to refusing to show any enthusiasm after a big Sox hit or homer. Steve Stone hasn't sold a ticket to a Sox game since he joined the radio side in 2008.

My dream would be for Rooney to come back to Chicago. Team him back with Farmer and try to rekindle that magic.

Second choice would be for the Sox to raid the Mariners broadcast booth and bring Rick Rizz and Dave Sims over.

Third choice would be to get Dave Wills back to town.

A house-cleaning is in order. Stone and Farmer should be the first ones to go. Hawk may need to go after that. I'm the biggest Harrelson supporter there is, but his behavior over the past two weeks have been inexcusable and is pretty much a basis for firing. I know 1-9 in ten games is awful, but at least show up and try to do a professional broadcast. Of the four announcers, amazingly, the one guy I might consider keeping is DJ.

In the back of my mind, I still remember the series from Oakland in 2003 when Rooney went over to the tv side and teamed with DJ. Hawk was out for some reason. It was a great series. Unfortunately, I think DJ's been relegated to the goofy sidekick role with Hawk and Farmer for the past 13 years. If he was ever teamed up with a real announcer, he'd probably be able to shine.

Ok - that went longer than I thought. Point is, Stone sucks and he can go back to the Cubs.
+1, my sentiments exactly.

Seems like they hired Stone due to history as being the #2 guy with iconic broadcasters, and he wants to be the main guy.

If Hawk does hang it up (hopefully not too soon), then they should clean house and start over with a new crew.