View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 01:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
A major reason for that, too, though is Wrigley's status as a tourist destination. I would estimate that roughly 95% of the people that come to Chicago from out of town and catch a baseball game go to Wrigley. It just is what it is. You can see the crowds at Wrigley are dwindling now that the tourist season is winding down and all that's left to fill the seats are Cub fans... Not too many are bothering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
1. In a story done by reporter Ted Gregory on this subject for the Tribune on September 1st, he quoted a Cub official directly as saying that 40% of overall Cub attendance comes from tourists. That's a sizable amount to pad attendance.
The tourist-attraction quality of that ballpark is what draws the crowds. Does that make them fans? I suppose it depends on how "fan" is defined. There are fans of architecture and pop culture too, and maybe that's what the other 40% are fans of, rather than baseball.

You'd think that more people showing up and the extra revenue they generate would lead toward a better baseball organization. Somehow that hasn't worked for the Cubs, and maybe they simply don't care since they're making money. We've speculated about that for a long time.

One thing I do know is that the Cubs are living on borrowed time with that ballpark. The main grandstand is just under 100 years old and the upper deck concrete is still flaking off. The ballpark is their golden goose and they can't postpone dealing with its poor health forever.