View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 01:01 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I don't know if I would say they were a result of dumb fluke luck, had that 1997 team not been dismantled they could have been a good team for awhile. The 2003 Marlins had decent years in '04 and '05 and then they started to rebuild again (you could argue they started to rebuild in '04 when they dealt guys like Derek Lee and Ivan Rodriguez). The Marlins build these teams that are meant to compete for a year or two and then they quickly ship off their best players, but I don't think it's any more of a fluke than the 2005 White Sox were.
You can make a strong argument that pretty much every World Series winner has to have come kind of dumb luck fluke to make it all the way, in the case of the '05 Sox, the bullpen that season was RIDICULOUSLY good. But the '05 Sox were also the very best team in the American League, if not the Majors, for that season. What they did in 2004 and 2006 has no real bearing on the 2005 season, again, in which they were the very best.

If you want to argue special circumstances led to the demise of the Marlins' championship teams from 1997 and 2003, that's fine, I respect that. But I'll also note that neither the '97 Marlins or '03 Marlins were the best team in their own division for either of those years. I am envious of their success and ability to close the deal when they get there, but, when coupled with the way they keep bottoming out, I would have to say just a lot of luck lead to a lot of their success. Good for them, but still losers.