View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 12:13 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
A couple of questions.
I thought our rotation was this: Sale, Peavy, Floyd, Liriano, Quintana. Is someone hurt? After all, this is crunch time, we are pitching sale 120 innings a start. We're now using a 6th starter in the deep stretch?

Viciedo has had 2 straight games in which he hit well. He's 3 for his last 6. He's 8 for his last 28 with 2 homers and 5 walks.
Wise is 0 for his last 16, and 7 for his last 35 with no homers and zero walks. it's the same story with Wise year after year: he's one of the worst hitters in baseball, and his rare hits come in bunches. The bunch has been over for 2 weeks.
Ventura benches Viciedo after a big game, Ozzie-style.
Seriously, is there some fog in the Sox Dugout and administrative office that makes people believe that Wise is a good hitter?

Can we please play our best players?
But I don't think there's any difference at this point. If you could point at one hitter who's doing badly that would be one thing. But so many guys aren't hitting.

Viciedo has just as many hits as strikeouts this month. His hit and strikeout average in September is .241, Wise is hitting .281. Even taking strengths and weakness and career numbers into effect at best it's 6 of one and a half dozen of the other.

I had such high hopes for Viciedo, but at this point, I'm not sure if he's back next year, since Boras will surely try to get him a huge raise (for his 22 HRs) in his first arbitration year for what otherwise is subpar production. I can only hope we can do better than Wise for our bench bats next year, which is another cause of our late September choke.

What I do take issue is with all these call-ups put in pressure situations the last two weeks. It's not find out what you have in the minors time, it's a damn pennant race.