View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 10:22 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Actually, Reddick was the 4th highest prospect in the Red Sox system entering 2011. But he had a good year in Boston last season. Red Sox had to go out and get a closer, so they went and traded for 2, Bailey and Melancon. Reddick was targeted as their 4th outfielder on paper. Not sure if Bailey is over-hyped, he has been on DL most of the year. But I think this shows how important the emergence of Reed and Jones was. It probably saved the White Sox from trading for a closer which is always an adventure.
When the deal was made, the Bay Area media reported that Reddick was the top talent to come out of the Red Sox system in recent years. And this year in Oakland he already has 28 home runs and 14 outfield assists, so the A's hype hasn't stopped, especially with the A's only two games behind the Rangers in mid September.

But the Bay Area media also over-hyped Bailey, who never was a great closer. He tended only to save games when he had a lead of at least two runs. If you only looked at his strikeouts you might think he was an elite closer. But he was hurt much of last year. It really shouldn't have been a surprise he was hurt this year.

If you are building for the future, as the Red Sox claim they are doing now, Reddick for Bailey is not a move you make.

But I think the comments by Bailey in the story I linked were the most interesting part of my point.