View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 08:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
If Strasburg had sustained an injury or had been suspended for the rest of the season, fans would be mourning his loss, and the media would be discussing how much this would hurt the team. Strangely enough, the two Bay Area teams that lost important components to contending teams are actually better teams, or at least more successfu teams, without the players the league suspended.

What bothers me is the idea that great pitchers are better off not pitching. It isn't that Strasburg is unhealthy. There is the idea that he could be if he continues to pitch, although his original injury had nothing to do with overwork and there is no concern about overwork affecting others who have to pick up more of the load. Fortunately for the Giants, Buster Posey, coming off of his serios injury, only has to worry about catching and the occasional day off at first base.

Actually, I would like to see the Tigers shut down Justin Verlander. He has pitched so much over the past two years, and every time he goes out there, his chances of injury increase (just ask Brandon McCarthy). But, really, this entire concept of Strasburg being too special a pitcher to pitch has me really hating the Nationals.

It would be tragically comedic, more tragic in a dramatic sense, where choices made by (or for) the tragic figure lead to his demise, if Strasburg came back next year and developed arm trouble in May, or even if Gonzalez came up with an injury. The Nationals are acting as if winning this year doesn't matter. Some would label them a garbage team, though, considering how long it's been since they have been to the postseason.

The Nationals used to be a feel good story.
I haven't heard a single person or media rep label the Nats a garbage team...not sure where that's coming from. The franchise was owned by MLB and run into the gutter in Montreal, with the worst ranked farm system in baseball. They get moved to DC, play in a decrepit dump for a few years and in the meantime, totally blow the team up and rebuild the farm system while acknowledging to the fan base there would be some lean years, and there were with back to back 100-L seasons.

Now they are loaded with some excellent young players, the farm system is in great shape again, they have money to spend and the area around the ballpark is a revitalized section of DC that was an armpit before. The front office has made some good moves and they play hard, scrappy baseball. The games are fun to go to, and they win alot. And most likely, they will be competitive for a while.

As for others having to pick up the workload, again, the Nats are very deep with their pitching, so much so they had to send a quality guy like Lannan who was a good starter last season down to AAA. Barring other injuries, they'll be fine. Especially with just 2-3 weeks of reg. season left. I don't think the Nats don't care about winning this year, again, not sure where that is coming from. They have just said from day one this was going to be their plan with SS, no matter what record the team had at the time.

Nobody knows what will happen with SS, any player can get hurt anytime, they're just being extra cautious with a potential superstar pitcher. But tonight he was out after just 3 innings and another beating. Maybe his health isn't 100%...or he's just getting tired.

As a Sox fan, even without SS I would love to have the rotation they have going into the postseason. Would be a hell of a lot better than this clusterflop the Sox have now.