View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 07:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Of course that's not the case. But I don't know of many (or any) playoff teams in baseball history that willingly and voluntarily benched their otherwise healthy ace both down the stretch and in the playoffs.

I don't see how this helps the team with the current best record in baseball win a World Series title.
Well and there's the question, is he the ace? Gonzalez is 18-7 with a 2.98 ERA and could also lay claim to that. And Strasburg is getting shelled again tonight. Now in two of his last three starts he's looked below average. Is he tiring? Who knows. And he's only throwing 5/6 innings per start anyway. Tonight he lasted just 3 innings.

His ERA is comparable to every other starting pitcher Washington has. I think people still think he's 15-1 with a 1-something ERA and striking out 12 guys a night, which isn't the case. He's been good but not overpowering.

I think people are reading too much into this. They did exactly the same thing with J. Zimmerman last year after the same kind of surgery, protecting an investment. They'd have done this if the Nats were in 1st or 4th place and they've said so all along. Maybe him getting rocked a few times is evidence that something isn't quite right.