View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 04:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I don't mind ESPN being part of the deal, occasionally showing baseball, although I don't believe baseball should be played on Sunday nights.
I read this post before looking at the username, but after reading this sentiment I just knew it had to be you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfourni View Post
ESPN can show the Yankees and Red Sox on Sunday night every week for all that I care. I don't usually watch Sunday Night Baseball (Sunday nights are by far the best TV night of the week for me), and I much prefer watching the Sox on Sunday afternoons. I know out of market fans probably disagree, but I just don't understand the appeal of national broadcasts for the White Sox.
Eh? I don't care about whether the Sox are on national TV, though I certainly welcome a Hawk-free night on occasion. But I'm a fan of baseball, and I usually tune in to Sunday Night Baseball for at least part of the game each week, though I've been busy with my new job lately.

But then, I don't watch much TV regularly during baseball season, save Mad Men this year which did interfere with Sunday Night Baseball.

I have no problem with them keeping this deal. I like how much baseball they show on a weekly basis. Get rid of the third man in the booth on Sunday nights--Shulman and Hershiser are a good team.

ESPN is generally fine at covering live sporting events. While they certainly give disproportional coverage to the Yanks and Sawx and that can be annoying, I have no problem with how they cover a game. I think people have trouble compartmentalizing the SportsCenter-Industrial Complex and when they actually air sports. I always enjoy watching baseball, soccer or tennis on ESPN.

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"