View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 11:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
A long time ago the rivalry was competitive but for the most part if not friendly, at least civil. It also used to be true that lots of people considered themselves "Chicago" fans and would pull for both teams while having one they considered a favorite. It also may shock some but I remember massive defections in the late 60s in response to the suddenly lowly Sox almost leaving town, and the 5 future HOFers on the Leo Durocher Cubs. To me the real turning point was 1984 when the surprising Cubs won the NL East, (before tanking against the Padres of course) and you could see that whole Wrigleyville thing in its infancy. It was obvious that there was no longer any semblance of objectivity in the media. The radio show The Sportswriters, on WGN voiced open contempt for the Sox often. So gradually over time the sands of fortune have shifted in favor of the Cubs for a variety of business and demographic reasons. Wilson, Swift, Armour and the Stockyards are gone. The International Amphitheatre is but a fading memory. So are the steel mills and factories. Every now and then a poster here will wax nostalgic for the old Chicago Cardinals. They're all gone but the Sox remain firmly entrenched on a depleted south side. For me it's now about survival. These are intense partisan times and the Cubs although stinking on the field have won the PR war. They can just go **** themselves for all I care. Y'all can bash DrCrawdad but I'm going to hang wiffem on this one. The Cubs and their sycophants can stuff it.
It's amazing to me, here at White Sox Interactive post critical or (god forbid) negative comments about the Cubs at your peril. You will get your head chopped off by the odd Cubbie Defenders and those who dislike "flubsession."

I can partly understand those obsessed with "flubsession," those who don't think there should be Cubs discussion on Sox site. I can see where they are coming from. However, The Cubbie Defenders are the odd lot to me. What a shock that Sox fans would bash the Cubbies on a Sox discussion site?

Try looking sometime at a Cubs discussion site. See if there are Cubs fans who patrol the site waiting to pounce on anti-Sox comments. You can bet if in the rare chance that might happen how quickly you'd be called a Sox fan. So get over the hypersensitivity for being called a Cubbie fan when you defend the Cubs, on a White Sox fan discussion site!

This is an unabashed White Sox fan site, bashing our neighbors to the north is not some phenomenon. They routinely bash us and then deny they do it. We do it and don't deny it. That's one of the many reasons I love my fellow Sox fans.

I posted an honest comment about the Cubs. Folks can disagree with the point, as some here have done, but notice how fast and furious the attacks were about me and quickly pushed my comment to the side so they could launch into their usual personal attacks.

For the record, I do not hate all things Cubs. I honestly admire several current and past Cubs players. I enjoy going to see a game every now and then at Wrigley. I didn't grow up hating the Cubs. They were foreign to me. They meant about as much to me as did the Cincinnati Reds. That said, some of my best friends are Cubs fans...

For my part, I truly want to follow my own words, "Balanced, reasonable discussion is helped without ad hominem attacks. Discuss the point, not the person."

And finally, thanks SI1020 for the kind, supportive comments!

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello

Last edited by DrCrawdad; 08-14-2012 at 07:26 AM.