Thread: Injury News
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 06:24 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
He's also never been fully healthy at the MLB level. This year, he seems to be finally 100% healthy. The guy has some of the worst luck I've ever seen in the injury department. Eye problems, hip labrum issues, wrist problems, etc. and some of them under weird circumstances like getting plunked by Matt Capps or getting sprayed in the eye with sunblock spray. The details of Dan Johnson's injury plagued career are detailed here in this interesting article:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/tw...3.html?refer=y

The truth is, we may never know what kind of player Dan Johnson could have been if he stayed healthy his whole career. It's not unreasonable to think that a fully healthy Dan Johnson is now reaching the potential he once had. The other side of the coin is that he is just having a career year down there. Regardless of why he is hitting this year, the bottom line is that he is hitting and I think he might be able to help this team. He likely can handle the bat better than Jordan Danks, Tyler Flowers, or Olmedo. He also has a very solid .396 OBP to go along with his other solid offensive numbers. On a weak bench like ours, it might be worth giving him a shot. Whether we see him soon or on September 1st when rosters expand, it is likely we will find out this year if he has any value.
Our bench is so bad that I'm not against giving him a try. All I'm saying is he has no track record of success as a MLB pinch hitter, which would be his role if the Sox were to add him to the roster. So, any contributions he might make to the team will be a nice surprise from my perspective. I wouldn't expect much.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/