View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 12:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
Just out of curiosity, I looked up current "all star" caliber players from around the league to see where they were drafted. It shouldn't come as a shock to anyone that there are a hell of a lot of great players that were drafted in the later rounds or not at all.

There is more "guesswork" with amateur baseball players than any other sport as evidenced by the # of 1st round busts. It's crazy to put much stock in "expert" rankings and projections. This is especially true of high school athletes that will have 5-6 years to work on their game and aren't even close to their "prime."

Who knows? Maybe the Sox saw something in Keon and didn't want to risk losing out. No one knows if he would have been available in later rounds. For all we know, he could have been selected one pick later.
It is a very good point. I think the only reason people like me who follow the prospect side pretty heavily get upset is this approach has not been working. I said it in another thread, but with minor league systems, until you have a proven track record, you don't have one. The Sox with the more signable approach have been really weak over the years. Hopefully they turn it around.

As always, I very much hope Keon proves me wrong. But its tough to pass on a player with 2 plus pitches, one that is plus plus, with such a great pitching body like Smorel to reach on Keon. Hopefully the Sox know something we don't.