View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 08:25 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
That's not helped anything, but the Sox have not seemed to have a strong Latin American presence for a while. For one, they don't spend much money on prospects and two, a lot of teams seem to have their own private academies for young baseball players that act as scouting organizations throughout baseball-crazy countries like the Domincan and Venezuela; I don't know of the Sox having one themselves.
When I was in the DR on business for a week about three years ago, I went to a DR Winter League game. I met scouts from three different teams, but no Sox scouts. When browsing shops at the airport, I saw paraphernalia for just about every MLB... except the Sox. I even saw KC and Pittsburgh stuff. For whatever reason, the Sox just don't have a presence there at all.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell