View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 01:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I am a little confused on how the last 3 drafts have been successful? I mean, yes, Gordon vs. Smoak was a tough choice, Mitchell we still don't know, and Sale was a dream scenerio. We still completely blew sandwich picks and spent very little on all 3 drafts. We continue to have one of the bottom 3-4 farms in baseball year in and out. This is not just because of trades. Anyone who doesn't see the problem here is just lying to themselves.

In terms of player development, a ton needs to be fixed. They have no idea how to do it.
This.

I don't see how anyone can argue that the farm system is in a good state, or on the upswing. I like the 1st round picks the last 4 years, but that's about it. The Sox don't spend on the draft, fail to sign early round picks, and don't spend internationally. Daver mentioned that the amount of scouts employed is abysmal compared to other organizations. The lack of depth is scary. With Sale and Morel graduating this year and no 1st round pick, things look even worse. Aside from Jared Mitchell who is no sure thing, what else is there? Maybe all the sleepers have breakout years and I eat crow, but I won't hold my breath.