View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 11:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
So far, it's looking like Gio was the one we should have held onto.
Gio's 1st season with Oakland at age 22(same as Hudson when he came up):
34IP, 1-4 with a 7.68 ERA in 7 starts

The next year in 17 starts: 6-7 with a 5.75 ERA

Do you really think the Sox would have let Gio progress the way Oakland has had the luxury of doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
When you're in a pennant race, yeah.

Had we started the year with Hudson in our rotation, it would have been a different story. As it stood though, Hudson was brought into the rotation in the middle of a pennant race and really didn't show the team enough to make them confident that they could win the division with him in the rotation.

The irony, of course, is that after the Sox traded for Jackson, who arguably became our best pitcher after joining the team, we still couldn't win the division.
A rookie is a rookie, whether you bring him up in early July or at the start of the season. You are going to have some inconsistent starts and growing pains. Not every pitcher comes up and is Steven Strausburg or Linceum. As it turned out Hudson just needed more of an adjustment period to the majors....which you saw at almost every level he pitched at, a small adjustment period then domination.

I'm not saying I think Hudson will be what he showed last year with Arizona, I think that's too much to ask. But it looks like he be a good #2/3 starter for years to come and he did not get a chance with the Sox.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012