View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 07:23 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Twice in 10 years? 20 years? I would consider that myth status.
First round wise, yes, the Sox stopped doing that after McCulloch pick (Poreda pick is a borderline average pick but at least he threw hard) but the overall draft wise, no, they are still drafting marginal college starters. Just look at the top guys in our farm ranking - most of them are pitchers drafted out of college in lower rounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
I'm believe that his finish in AA was more due to injury than anything else. His AFL showing was pretty impressive.
Yeah, he cooled off a lot after that injury so I suspect he may not be perfectly healthy right now. I'm willing to cut him some slack for this year. If he were healthy, it would be very alarming because he's not walking or hitting but still striking out a ton. I think the Sox should completely fix his swing to be compact so that he can be make more contact. It's clear he can't hit for power, so we should just give up on him ever developing into a toolsy hitter. I'd settle for a Brett Gardner with him.

Oh and AFL stats are to be taken with a grain of salt. It's widely accepted that AFL favours the hitters HEAVILY.