View Single Post
Old 07-07-2010, 04:09 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post
Why does this first year bullpen strategy they have planned for him keep giving me scary visions of Andrew Miller with the Tigers in 2006? I guess beyond just the surface of being 1st round tall lefties out of college with good fastball and somewhat odd mechanics, they aren't all that similar--Miller was a fireballer with a big slider in college who was pretty raw with his control, and from what we've heard, Sale has great control of multiple pitches, so that's not really similar I guess.
In all fairness, Miller only threw 5 innings over 3 appearances in high A before being promoted. From what I gathered, Sale would be pitching in W-S and Charlotte before joining the pen in August or September, and that's a scenario when all goes well for Sale. My assumption is that should Sale struggle in AAA, he may not get promoted to the big league club. I see where you are coming from, though. Miller has been disappointing so far. His struggle is not so surprising considering the kid never pitched a full season in the minors. Hopefully the Sox will demote Sale if he proves to be inefficient.