View Single Post
Old 04-17-2010, 02:21 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konerko05 View Post
Weren't you just saying it's stupid to evaluate young picthing based on minor league stats? Yet you're going to make a judgement on if he's ready for the majors based on one start where he dominated, but didn't pitching six innings?
In response to a couple of posters expressing excitement that he could step into the rotation soon, even with the ability to provide more than Peavy, I wrote that the line didn't indicate any such thing. I didn't indicate I believed he did not have potential to be a very good pitcher.

If he were both dominating and major league ready, you would expect him to go more than six innings. I might be wrong, but I would hate to think the White Sox system is developing starting pitchers to only go six innings. At the major league level, Sox starters should be going more than six innings. Minor league starters who are major league ready should be going more than six innings when they aren't facing major league lineups.

But that may be a complaint about pitcher development. I think John Danks would have come up as a better major league pitcher if he had thrown a few complete games in the minors. It relates to stamina and mindset. Jim Parque actually believed his job was to go five innings.