View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 05:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan View Post
I had read that Jordan Danks compared to Darin Erstad offensively. [The good, young version of Erstad, not the craptacular AARP version of Erstad that Ozzie stupidly played with regularity on the 2007 team.]

But regardless of whether he'll be a #2 or a #7/8/9 hitter, he's not likely to become a leadoff man.
But my point is that a leadoff man hasn't seemingly been that important to this team (at least based on the GM's actions) since One Dog. I tend to disagree, but in terms of OBP we haven't had a good one in forever! Given all the moves KW has made, if it was a higher priority he would have tried to shore that position up long term several times over by now.

Agree than Jordan isn't a lead-off guy, but what k-rate can anyone be basing this assertion on? Kid put up a .934 OPS in 32 games in his first high A action to start his first full pro season and then struggled to play 73 injury plagued games in AA and had a good start there before the injuries hit him. Then he finished his first full pro season with a .962 OPS in the AFL. Yes, he has averaged 1 K per game in that one full season, but that is impressive no matter how you slice the K's.

If he even approaches those numbers in AAA as he did the AFL people will be falling over themselves as him being the next great middle of the order CF'er. Not saying he is, but the K-rate concern is a bit overblown here given his single pro season under his belt and the rate he has moved along.