View Single Post
Old 09-17-2003, 07:21 PM
Happy Meal Prep
Default Re: Torriiiiiiiiiiii

Originally posted by Jurr
Torii Hunter....asked if they can put away the White Sox...."It starts tonight"...."we're hungry...we should've come out and won the World Series, and we want a shot at getting back."

He made a point I totally agree with. Shannon Stewart should be the AL MVP. He made the biggest difference down the stretch on any team. I watched the Twins almost every game the second half ( as I watched Sox games) and he came up huge all the time.
For a wonderful explanation (from a Twins fan, no less) of why Shannon Stewart should not even be considered for MVP, please go to and check out Tuesday's entry. A sampling...

Shannon Stewart has been a very good hitter since joining the Twins and he was a good hitter for the Blue Jays this year too. Overall, here are his numbers:
.312 .367 .468 69 83

Those numbers are right around his career-totals of .304/.369/.449. Is .312/.367/.468 solid production from a corner outfielder? Absolutely. Is it anywhere close to an MVP season? No freaking way.

Stewart ranks 22nd in the American League in on-base percentage, 29th in slugging percentage and 29th in OPS (on-base % + slugging %). He's also 23rd in runs scored and 47th in RBIs. For those of you into "Win Shares," Stewart currently ranks 45th in the American League.
"If there is any justice in the world, to be a Sox fan frees a man from any other form of penance." -- Bill Veeck