Thread: Brandon Allen
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 11:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Grebeck View Post
He's not old either, and I'm not one for committing money to Dotel when it will be scarce after the Rios and Peavy acquisitions.

I also don't understand this idea that he has, in your words, "always been" terrible. That's hyperbolic, and stupid. That's on par with the few posters who say Nix has "always battered minor league pitching" or something to that extent. It's simply not true. Pena's been useful in the past and I wouldn't bet against a return to form in Chicago.

Also, the deification of Brandon Allen is pretty ridiculous. He was mediocre in Birmingham and downright bad in Charlotte. He's a first baseman who has serious questions with the bat. Kill me for not being bowled over by a small sample size of games in the PCL, which is a hitter's amusement park.
Pena is not old, but he is no spring chicken like I said. He will be 28 next year and hasn't had any great MLB success. He has actually been pretty bad. Not much upside. Do you feel confident when he comes into the game?

Oh, and saying he's had a terrible career is not as stupid as saying look at his ERA over his last twelve innings pitched. Lets go one more inning and now it is 7 ER over 13.2 IP. See, I can play that game too.

I don't know if Allen will turn out to be a good MLB player, but I think Kenny gave up more than he had to.