View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 04:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Chicago Tribune Live had some scouts on the phone when this all went down and I was struck by what they said about the kid.

(Direct quote) "He's borderline fat, and has to learn to play the catcher position. If he can't he's another slow first base / DH type."

So basically if this kid can't cut it at catcher he's another base clogging, station to station type....supposedly the type of player the Sox are trying to get away from.

I hope he can learn to catch otherwise this doesn't make a lot of sense does it?

Lip
You're worried about a C/1B/DH being slow?

The Sox are trying to get away from players who can actually hit? That's news to me.

The Sox might be trying to add a little speed to the roster, but that doesn't mean they are willing to rid themselves of all good hitters because they are slow.

So far this kid seems like a very good offensive player. He has power, a decent average, and very good knowledge of the strike zone. His jump to AA this season will be very interesting.

Flowers having to make the move to 1B of DH wouldn't be the worst thing the world. The Sox will need someone to replace Konerko and Thome. I hope he improves defensively and he stays behind the plate.