View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 08:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
Likewise I'm sure, even moreso in fact.

Exactly how does overpaying for a player that may never play at the MLB level improve the overall quality of players in your system and how they are developed? Your approach is putting a bandaid on severed limb and telling the patient to take some Robotussin.
See, this is again where we disagree. I am not saying our entire process is not bad. I am saying, if we are going to make the commitment to bring in better coaches, to bring in Buddy Bell to oversee the process. To change not only the structure, but the philosophy in how we bring players along(which may start with ideas such as not bouncing starting pitchers from league to league so they can get some real work done), then we are we not making the stance to fill it with the players who can be the best. No team is perfect, no draft is perfect. If every draft produces a handful of good prospects it ultimately is a success. However, we are not a poor team. We have the money to sign a guy for 7 mil. 7 mil, we pissed half that away on Darrin Erstad. The scouts job is to determine what players are worth that big money. But when a top 5 talent, a Porcello falls into your lap, and you let him go to your division rival because you are scared to spend money in the draft, its unacceptable. I am not saying we have to spend the most money in the league, but we should be in the top 15, we have the resources to do it.