Thread: 9/1 Games
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 12:37 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofCSoxFan View Post
The chance was slim to none that we'd get a good player in the 6th round? You're joking right. This isn't like the NFL draft where the sixth round is total garbage.

Other sixth round picks: Jaime Moyer, Lance Johnson, Deion Sanders, Tom Gordon, Jim Edmonds (7th round actually), Eric Karros (the 1992 Rookie of the Year), Troy Percival, Joe Nathan, Tim Hudson, J.J. Putz, John Maine, Pat Neshak, Ryan Braun, Kevin Kouzmanoff, and Matt Kemp.

Players taken even later:
Jermaine Dye taken in the 17th round. Roy Oswalt 23 round. Russell Martin 17th round. Jason Bay 22nd round. Dan Uggla 11th round. Nate McClouth 25th round. These are just a few I've found doing 5 minutes of research.

EVERY YEAR dozens of players taken after the 6th round become starters on major league teams. Some become all stars. You cannot throw away these picks.
LOL, you keep listing players. Still doesn't change the fact that the MLB draft is a total crapshoot, even in the first round a lot of times. You're right, it's not like the NFL draft: it's much more difficult. The chances that we drafted a major league player in that sixth round are very, very small.

Here's another one of these for you:

Quote:
To me its a matter of principle anyway. In life you should have to earn your own way, not be handed something. I'm sorry you disagree with this. I don't mind the Kenny Williams pick because at least he was a minor league talent. Oney was not and gets special treatment because of who his father is.
If your daddy was a manager, or even some way affiliated with a major league organization, you would get drafted too. It happens all around baseball. You're overreacting, and you look like a fool for doing it.

Quote:
I'd also be a bit more lenient if we had a minor league system that didn't need to be totaly rebuilt. It'd be nice to be able to bring someone up in a pennant race that could help out...like you know every other team we are competing against. We brought up Jerry Owens and a bunc of AAAA relief pithers. We don't have a fifth starter. That is why I have a problem with the Oney Guillen summer baseball camp experience.
Oney Guillen is really killing the minor league system. I could just imagine where would be without him: the same place.

Last edited by oeo; 09-02-2008 at 12:46 AM.