Thread: 9/1 Games
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2008, 03:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adele_H View Post
I don't think the whole thing is any bigger of a deal than say Ron Schueler drafting his family cat or something like that a while back, this sort of nepotism-y thing happens in a lot of organizations, but I do take some issue with the above as

Buehrle
MaCarthy
Piazza

among others were late-round picks. 6th round where KW's son was taken? PLenty of good major leaguers came from that over the years, I am just too lazy to look it up.
Yeah, there will be diamonds in the rough in every draft, but there's absolutely no guarantee you'll come up with one. I'm not really defending the pick of Oney, because I don't know too much about it. I have no clue what he did prior to the draft so I can't comment on whether or not he was deserving of being drafted there or not. It was pretty late that he got drafted, and it doesn't bother me at all. Sometimes you need to grab the guy that's going to bring you a stable clubhouse environment wherever he is in the minors or somebody who can alleviate the pressures for some Latin players. I know an awful lot about hockey and its draft procedures and this kind of thing occurs, not only in the later rounds, but at times the skill of a player is overlooked for the personal presence in as early as the first or second round. It borders on apples and oranges here, but hopefully people can see the point. We may have ultimately gained a Buehrle by drafting another player in Oney's spot, but we not have. We'll never know, and who cares.