View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 12:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty34 View Post
I absolutely despise Ron Santo on the air. When he isn't talking to about his Chevy truck or This Old Cub or making his incessant pleas to be admitted to the Hall of Fame, he just sits in silence and loses track of what is going on in the game. He offers no real commentary during the game other than to occasionally ask Pat Hughes what happened on the last play because he was too busy dosing off to thoughts of heel-clicking that will never again be possible for him. I really just cannot take a man seriously who, on Mother's Day, bashes and shuns the use of pink bats and wristbands, then goes on to plug his own diabetes foundation.
WGN keeps him on there, of course, because he's a Cub museum piece that's a component of their overall marketing plan. Hughes is the genuine announcer, and though he's not my cup of tea with his tromBONE deLIVery, he's a pro who can tell you what's going on in the game. If Santo was any other guy there is no way he'd be put behind a microphone.

I don't have the article handy, but McDonough, the marketing guy who runs the Cubs, was recently quoted as saying that the reason the Cubs have been so commercially successful was because of decades-long consistency: the same uniforms, the same radio station, the same TV station, the same ballpark/neighborhood identification, etc. Santo is one of those consistent things associated with the Cubs, no matter how embarrassingly bad he can be on the air.