PDA

View Full Version : Man falls to death at Shea Stadium

SaltyPretzel
04-16-2008, 05:51 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/16/shea.death/index.html

MUsoxfan
04-16-2008, 08:23 AM
Escalators were never made so people could slide down them.

It's Dankerific
04-16-2008, 08:25 AM
How long before the family sues the Mets?

MUsoxfan
04-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Oh, I'm sure the paperwork is almost done

Viva Medias B's
04-16-2008, 08:32 AM
At Shea, do the escalators move downward after the game? This is unlike USCF, of course, where fans exit by walking down the ramps. One time, I recall someone asking Terry Saverise at a SoxFest why the escalators do not go downward. Terry said that if the escalators are packed with exiting fans, someone at the top could fall over and cause a domino effect crushing people below him.

Of course, it would have to be determined if the person killed at Shea Stadium was under the influence of alcohol when he did what he did.

Ava83
04-16-2008, 09:03 AM
It is of course sad this man has lost his life...but doesn't this happen at Shea almost every season? I mean I thought there was a story like this last year.

chisoxfanatic
04-16-2008, 12:17 PM
At Shea, do the escalators move downward after the game? This is unlike USCF, of course, where fans exit by walking down the ramps. One time, I recall someone asking Terry Saverise at a SoxFest why the escalators do not go downward. Terry said that if the escalators are packed with exiting fans, someone at the top could fall over and cause a domino effect crushing people below him.

Of course, it would have to be determined if the person killed at Shea Stadium was under the influence of alcohol when he did what he did.

They have the escalators at the United Center going down after Blackhawks games and nobody's been hurt. But, people can be idiots. Hopefully the court that might see this case laughs it off. It's not the Mets' fault this guy wasn't using the escalator for its intended purpose.

FedEx227
04-16-2008, 12:30 PM
It is of course sad this man has lost his life...but doesn't this happen at Shea almost every season? I mean I thought there was a story like this last year.

I THINK that was Philadelphia, don't quote me though.

Sockinchisox
04-16-2008, 12:46 PM
Going a long with this, anyone remember that one fan at Yankee stadium in 2005 that fell from the upper deck onto the safety net?

Thats always my biggest fear whenever I sit anywhere in an upper deck for anything.

Jerko
04-16-2008, 12:46 PM
Going a long with this, anyone remember that one fan at Yankee stadium in 2005 that fell from the upper deck onto the safety net?

Thats always my biggest fear whenever I sit anywhere in an upper deck for anything.

I don't think that idiot fell.

ksimpson14
04-16-2008, 01:23 PM

Yeah, I'm a heights wuss, and I'm always afraid of that, especially a place like Yankee Stadium which is steep as hell (just always in my head. I was fine when I 'conquered' the fear at the Cell and loved the view up there though). But yeah, that attention whore jumped. IIRC, the security guard gave him a pretty good shot/aggressive grab after helping him, which seemed confusing at first, but was the highlight for me after everyone figured out what really happened.

ksimpson14
04-16-2008, 01:24 PM
The story must've been updated, they say he wasn't sliding, but turning around/maybe sitting on the railing and he lost his balance

fquaye149
04-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Once again we see why people should wait for the facts before they pass judgment on someone who has died

doublem23
04-16-2008, 01:32 PM
The story must've been updated, they say he wasn't sliding, but turning around/maybe sitting on the railing and he lost his balance

I'm shocked no one got a real good look a freak accident that probably unfolded in less than 10 seconds.

rdwj
04-16-2008, 02:04 PM
Once again we see why people should wait for the facts before they pass judgment on someone who has died

Yes, because once you express an opinion on a message board, it set in stone and is not allowed to be changed.

fquaye149
04-16-2008, 02:30 PM
Yes, because once you express an opinion on a message board, it set in stone and is not allowed to be changed.

Who the hell said that?:rolleyes:

All I'm saying is that people saying "ESCALATORS ARE NOT MADE FOR GOOFING AROUND" probably feel about as silly as the people who said "KILLING YOURSELF IS SO SELFISH WHEN YOU HAVE A DAUGHTER" in the Heath Ledger thread.

Who the hell knows what happened? The police don't. The papers don't. Let's get a few facts before we start wagging our fingers at the dead

thomas35forever
04-16-2008, 02:46 PM
I just read that the same thing happened to someone in 1985, but I don't know of any other instances.

lpneck
04-16-2008, 03:15 PM
When I was a kid, I attended a game at Old Comiskey Park around 1986 or 1987. We were sitting in the front row of the upper deck on the first base side when a man came running down the stairs by us, straddled the railing, and fell to the walkway that separated the golden box seats from the reserved seats.

I know that he died. It was a pretty haunting experience considering I was 11 or 12 at the time. I still remember the sound of his body hitting the concrete- it was just sickening.

rookie
04-16-2008, 09:29 PM
They have the escalators at the United Center going down after Blackhawks games and nobody's been hurt. But, people can be idiots. Hopefully the court that might see this case laughs it off. It's not the Mets' fault this guy wasn't using the escalator for its intended purpose.

Keep in mind that the levels at the UC aren't as nearly far apart as the levels at the Cell. And I doubt that the upper level at the UC seats as many as the upper level at the Cell. And the lower level at the UC needs no escalator, whereas the 100 level at the Cell does, which would mean even more people on escalator after the game.

Iwritecode
04-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Who the hell said that?:rolleyes:

All I'm saying is that people saying "ESCALATORS ARE NOT MADE FOR GOOFING AROUND" probably feel about as silly as the people who said "KILLING YOURSELF IS SO SELFISH WHEN YOU HAVE A DAUGHTER" in the Heath Ledger thread.

If he was going down the escalator the proper way (facing foward, standing in the middle with both hands on the railings) he wouldn't have fallen.

fquaye149
04-18-2008, 11:56 AM
If he was going down the escalator the proper way (facing foward, standing in the middle with both hands on the railings) he wouldn't have fallen.

You can find fault in pretty much anyone who dies of just about anything.

That doesn't mean that that should be a priority.

LoveYourSuit
04-18-2008, 08:46 PM

Anaheim has them operating down, and their upper deck is bigger than ours.

It's pretty simple, the usless ushers standing doing nothing need to each be assigned a post at every entrance to an escalator controlling traffic so they don't over pack the escalators.