PDA

View Full Version : Does Toby Hall get hits?

Jerksticks
04-16-2008, 01:04 AM
What's this guy's deal? He makes alot of money to do nothing. He can't hit or get on base, or throw runners out. Someone please explain to me why Toby Hall is our best option at backup.

JSticks

Qdiddy
04-16-2008, 01:09 AM
Good point. I wish KW could of brought back M. Olivo just for his arm. Plus, he can probably hit better than Hall too.

chisoxfanatic
04-16-2008, 01:11 AM
This is something we talked about at the game today. My friend questioned why Toby Hall was even on this team, and I made a comment that he only really seems like a third catcher at this moment (he isn't even the greatest defensively, and anyone who doesn't think he looks lost at the plate isn't *watching* him), and we don't need three catchers up here. I also commented that I thought Phillips should be immediately brought up from Charlotte.

I don't know how many options he has left, if any at all. Perhaps Ozzie and KW notice something about him that we don't see such as added chemistry to the team even though he isn't that great of a player?

ksimpson14
04-16-2008, 01:20 AM
What's this guy's deal? He makes alot of money to do nothing. He can't hit or get on base, or throw runners out. Someone please explain to me why Toby Hall is our best option at backup.

JSticks

and there you go

hawkjt
04-16-2008, 01:25 AM
Right now, everything about him looks slow. Slow hands behind the plate,slow bat at the plate,slow running the basepaths on his one bloop hit.
I hope he is healthy this year at least. He used to be able to hit, I know that for a fact so maybe he will get it going..of course only playing once a week is not great for getting in a groove.
Hang in ,Toby..

SOX ADDICT '73
04-16-2008, 01:26 AM
I thought Toby Hall was a key pickup by Kenny Williams prior to last season - a decent hitting catcher who, if nothing else, would be an upgrade over Chris Widger to back up A.J.

Then came the shoulder injury he sustained while he was inexplicably playing first base last spring, and he hasn't been right since. If I recall, he opted to rehab the shoulder instead of having season-ending surgery (allowing him to play in a whole 38 games in '07, hitting a robust .207). Had he gone under the knife like Crede, perhaps we'd be seeing a different Toby Hall this year.

RockJock07
04-16-2008, 02:03 AM
He was brought in to spell AJ on days when lefties were on the mound. Hall, before coming to the sox, was solid vs. lefties. I'm not sure what's going on with him, maybe he just needs to go down to AAA. Phillips was good but not great in the spring, i wouldn't mind him up here.

oeo
04-16-2008, 03:08 AM
He was brought in to spell AJ on days when lefties were on the mound. Hall, before coming to the sox, was solid vs. lefties. I'm not sure what's going on with him, maybe he just needs to go down to AAA. Phillips was good but not great in the spring, i wouldn't mind him up here.

He's hurt, that's what is wrong with him. He should have the surgery already...he looks like the same useless piece of crap as last year.

And the thing that really pisses me off about Hall, is he's lazy behind the plate. Often times, he won't slide over to block a ball in the dirt...he'll just try to back-hand it. I hate that crap...get your fat ass moving.

santo=dorf
04-16-2008, 07:09 AM
Toby Hall career against LHP: .273/.317/.396/.713

High BA =/= solid hitting. He's like a fatter version of Darin Erstad when batting against LHP. Just for another reference, Thome career against LHP: .241/.343/.418/.760 Jim Thome historically has been a better hitter against lefties yet everyone wants him on the bench when there's one on the mound. Despite having lower numbers (albeit a higher empty batting average) Hall is considered "solid" against LHP.
:scratch:

soxinem1
04-16-2008, 07:46 AM
This is something we talked about at the game today. My friend questioned why Toby Hall was even on this team, and I made a comment that he only really seems like a third catcher at this moment (he isn't even the greatest defensively, and anyone who doesn't think he looks lost at the plate isn't *watching* him), and we don't need three catchers up here. I also commented that I thought Phillips should be immediately brought up from Charlotte.

I don't know how many options he has left, if any at all. Perhaps Ozzie and KW notice something about him that we don't see such as added chemistry to the team even though he isn't that great of a player?

Because Uncle Jerry will not eat the contract. Plain and simple.

spiffie
04-16-2008, 07:56 AM
Toby Hall career against LHP: .273/.317/.396/.713

High BA =/= solid hitting. He's like a fatter version of Darin Erstad when batting against LHP. Just for another reference, Thome career against LHP: .241/.343/.418/.760 Jim Thome historically has been a better hitter against lefties yet everyone wants him on the bench when there's one on the mound. Despite having lower numbers (albeit a higher empty batting average) Hall is considered "solid" against LHP.
:scratch:
It is all a matter of perspective. AJ's line against LHP: 252/280/368/648. It looked even better since the year before Hall had hit 292/333/500 against LHP.

Madvora
04-16-2008, 07:57 AM
We've got another Ben Davis on our hands.

It's Dankerific
04-16-2008, 08:21 AM
If we're serious about winning this year, SOMEONE needs to replace Toby.

The Dude
04-16-2008, 08:35 AM
--waits for skottyJ to see this thread--

:o:

Vernam
04-16-2008, 08:37 AM
I sort of remember seeing him get a hit once, but maybe I'm thinking of Marc Hill. Their names sound alike, and they have the same general round shape. It certainly seems like 25 years since Toby Hall had a hit. :mad:

Vernam

cws05champ
04-16-2008, 09:07 AM
If back up catcher is our biggest concern right now...I'm really happy about that!!! :smile:

skottyj242
04-16-2008, 09:40 AM
Toby told me he was feeling good. Leave the guy alone.

KenBerryGrab
04-16-2008, 09:59 AM
He kept Danks on track yesterday. That's all you ask for in a backup catcher. Offense is a bonus.

WhiteSox5187
04-16-2008, 10:16 AM
He kept Danks on track yesterday. That's all you ask for in a backup catcher. Offense is a bonus.
Yep, I agree...having said that however, his D has been awfully shakey but he seems to call a good game. I'm willing to leave him up here for now.

It's Dankerific
04-16-2008, 10:32 AM
Toby told me he was feeling good. Leave the guy alone.

Then he has no excuse for not being able to hit or run, and ESPECIALLY letting a ball roll through his legs. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt that hes not physically well, if he is, is it a lack of effort or skill?

stl_sox_fan
04-16-2008, 10:59 AM
We've got another Ben Davis on our hands.

Nice. Funny aside, there is a Ben Davis Lane in Kirkwood, MO that I pass every time to the grocery.

TomBradley72
04-16-2008, 11:17 AM
Toby Hall is a "Pete Varney" of the new millenium. Completely useless....should have had the surgery as soon as the Sox were out of contention last year, should have gotten himself in shape vs. being the big tub of goo that he currently is. Can't field, can't hit, can't run, can't throw...other than that..he's great.

Side note: Went to my first game yesterday..during the "Thunderstruck" video...just as the song says..."You've been (pause) thunderstruck!"...Toby's picture comes on the screen. I thought that was pretty funny. The only thing that's been "Thunderstruck" by Toby Hall is the buffet table.

Foulke You
04-16-2008, 11:20 AM
I thought Toby Hall was a key pickup by Kenny Williams prior to last season - a decent hitting catcher who, if nothing else, would be an upgrade over Chris Widger to back up A.J.

Then came the shoulder injury he sustained while he was inexplicably playing first base last spring, and he hasn't been right since. If I recall, he opted to rehab the shoulder instead of having season-ending surgery (allowing him to play in a whole 38 games in '07, hitting a robust .207). Had he gone under the knife like Crede, perhaps we'd be seeing a different Toby Hall this year.
I tend to agree with your synopsis. The guy looks like a shadow of the player I remember on the D-Rays. Previous posters hit the nail on the head about how slow he looks all around. When he swings, his bat appears to be in slow motion and the 1 or 2 fluke hits he gets are usually little bloop ducksnorts that he didn't get good contact on. Has he even hit a HR yet in a White Sox uniform? I can't even remember the last time I saw him get an RBI. You could deal with his shoddy offense if he was a good defensive catcher like Mark Johnson was but he isn't. In fact, he appears to be below average.

From what I read in the papers, Ozzie had to be convinced by others in the organization to take Hall over Phillips as the backup catcher. This tells me that Toby might be on a short leash with the ballclub and if he doesn't start performing better, we may be looking for other backup catching options.

JorgeFabregas
04-16-2008, 11:29 AM
. Has he even hit a HR yet in a White Sox uniform? I can't even remember the last time I saw him get an RBI.
He has 0 homeruns, 3 RBI, and 3 walks in a White Sox uni.

Chicken Dinner
04-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Toby Hall c
2 years/$3.65M (2007-08), plus $2.25M 2009 club option
signed as a free agent 12/06
07:$1.75M, 08:$1.75M, 09:$2.25M club option ($0.15M buyout)I wish I could make that much money and be a piece of crap.

skottyj242
04-16-2008, 11:40 AM
I wish I could make that much money and be a piece of crap.

Did you just call Toby Hall a piece of crap? Go scratch.

Foulke You
04-16-2008, 11:46 AM
$1.75 million per year, 3 RBIs, = $583,333 per RBI.:o:

PatK
04-16-2008, 11:46 AM
He looks like a guy that was hurt last year and instead of getting better and into shape went and tried his hand at professional eating.

doublem23
04-16-2008, 11:52 AM

A.J. caugh Danks in his first start in Cleveland and John pitched pretty well, too.

I know there are some people here who love Toby Hall, but he is absolutely terrible, both at the plate and behind it. I can't believe there isn't one other catcher in this organization that wouldn't be at least a slight improvement over him.

JB98
04-16-2008, 01:56 PM
I tend to agree with your synopsis. The guy looks like a shadow of the player I remember on the D-Rays. Previous posters hit the nail on the head about how slow he looks all around. When he swings, his bat appears to be in slow motion and the 1 or 2 fluke hits he gets are usually little bloop ducksnorts that he didn't get good contact on. Has he even hit a HR yet in a White Sox uniform? I can't even remember the last time I saw him get an RBI. You could deal with his shoddy offense if he was a good defensive catcher like Mark Johnson was but he isn't. In fact, he appears to be below average.

From what I read in the papers, Ozzie had to be convinced by others in the organization to take Hall over Phillips as the backup catcher. This tells me that Toby might be on a short leash with the ballclub and if he doesn't start performing better, we may be looking for other backup catching options.

Actually, I do remember the last time Toby Hall got an RBI. He laced a double down the line in a game I attended late last year. We were joking about it because he doubled his season RBI total, from one to two. :D:

No, he has not hit a HR in a Sox uniform yet.

ChiTownTrojan
04-16-2008, 02:29 PM
Nice. Funny aside, there is a Ben Davis Lane in Kirkwood, MO that I pass every time to the grocery.
And I've got a good friend named Ben Davis. Lay off him, will you guys?

Droso5
04-16-2008, 02:31 PM
Toby "Why am I Alive" Hall is god awful. Save for the hype and "I guess" production during spring training some time ago he has only had ZERO success as a baseball player for the White Sox. Everytime his name is brought up in public all I hear is the sound of a laboring toilet trying to choke down a massive deuce somewhere off in the distance.:angry:

It's Dankerific
04-16-2008, 02:46 PM
:rolling:

Bravo

santo=dorf
04-16-2008, 05:04 PM
bull****. Prove to me that was Hall. Why did the pitchers have better results with Gustavo Molina last year instead of Hall? Should we bring Molina's no stick bat back? Why were Sox fans so pissed seeing Molina play last year, and why was signing Hall such a big deal?

Ask the sox about Chris Widger in 2006. Even though he couldn't hit, the least he could do was handle the pitchers well, throw up runners, and not look like a slob behind the plate. Toby Hall is doing that right now being the 3rd or 4th highest paid backup catcher in the league.

It's Dankerific
04-16-2008, 06:09 PM
I just got an email from the sox with an "Ask Kenny" question inquiry. I immediately sent my response:

Dear Mr. Williams,
Why is Toby Hall on this team? he doesnt seem to field, run or hit well.

RallyBowl
04-16-2008, 08:58 PM
The thing about Toby Hall is that he's just not a very good baseball player.

But, I think maybe you should have the two prospects we have playing everyday in the minors, waiting until AJ is done. All of the players do seem to really like him, maybe that is a reason he is kept around. He has spent 99 percent of his Sox tenure either in the dugout or sucking it up on the field, AJ is a warrior anyways, the backup catcher is probably the least important spot on the roster so who cares about him. Whatever he hurts us when he does play must be made up for by all the "SWAGGER" he brings to the clubhouse. He is pretty bad though, again for the record.

Lukin13
04-16-2008, 09:03 PM

HebrewHammer
04-16-2008, 09:35 PM

Halfway there! :redneck

champagne030
04-17-2008, 08:49 AM
I sort of remember seeing him get a hit once, but maybe I'm thinking of Marc Hill. Their names sound alike, and they have the same general round shape. It certainly seems like 25 years since Toby Hall had a hit. :mad:

Vernam

:rolling:

I love the comparison.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bpv/images/7/70/Hillmarc.jpg (http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Image:Hillmarc.jpg)

Hall = Booter version 1.2.

Jurr
04-17-2008, 09:51 AM
Come on, Timo...come on, Timo!

fquaye149
04-17-2008, 09:53 AM
this thread is skotty-baiting at its finest

Jenks4Prez
04-17-2008, 04:04 PM
In a word........... No

Rockman218
04-17-2008, 05:36 PM
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Erik/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpgWhat's this guy's deal? He makes alot of money to do nothing. He can't hit or get on base, or throw runners out. Someone please explain to me why Toby Hall is our best option at backup.

JSticksToby is an awful awful person.:D:

http://www.lifeintheoffice.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/02/candybars.png
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Erik/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg

Jerksticks
04-17-2008, 05:56 PM
Well I'm glad he is feeling better. He sure does suck at baseball though. Oh, and he just looks like a fat dork. Obviously, he is not a cool guy and clearly was never given any respect throughout his life. Just a bonafide dorky, nobody wants to be his friend type of loser.

Obviously.

JSticks

btrain929
04-17-2008, 07:01 PM

Yeah, because if we have an effective backup catcher, that, and that only, will be the reason we win this year.

He's gonna start 20-25 games this year. If his effectiveness is the reason we don't get in the playoffs, then we have a whole mess of other problems on our hands.

Besides, isn't this the last year of his 2 year contract? Get over it, he's here to finish out the year.

:rolleyes:

It's Dankerific
04-17-2008, 08:32 PM
Yeah, because if we have an effective backup catcher, that, and that only, will be the reason we win this year.

He's gonna start 20-25 games this year. If his effectiveness is the reason we don't get in the playoffs, then we have a whole mess of other problems on our hands.

Besides, isn't this the last year of his 2 year contract? Get over it, he's here to finish out the year.

:rolleyes:

The same can be said of mop up man MacDougal (one of the people in your .sig). If the effectiveness of our mop up man is the reason we don't get into the playoffs...

there is no reason to have such an EASILY correctable problem. because we'll have to pay the major league minimum to another catcher? wow. if Toby wasn't so bad another team would pick him up if waived and the net money difference for us would be ZERO. Someone in the front office has got to learn about sunk costs.

skottyj242
04-30-2008, 01:48 PM
Who just got a hit?

soxfan13
04-30-2008, 02:01 PM
Who just got a hit?

even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile, only difference is blind squirrels are skinny while Toby is still fat as me:tongue:

skottyj242
04-30-2008, 03:49 PM
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile, only difference is blind squirrels are skinny while Toby is still fat as me:tongue:

Did you see that block he made today?

soxfan13
04-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Did you see that block he made today?

Yeah cuz hes fat :tongue:

skottyj242
04-30-2008, 03:54 PM
Yeah cuz hes fat :tongue:

You know what? You're fat.

skottyj242
05-19-2008, 04:12 PM
Toby Hall is batting .294.

champagne030
05-19-2008, 05:01 PM
Toby Hall is batting .294.

He's batting 1.000 when facing the pre or postgame spread. :cool:

BadBobbyJenks
05-19-2008, 05:46 PM
He's batting 1.000 when facing the pre or postgame spread. :cool:

Also batting a 1.000 trying to take home any blow up dolls hanging around the clubhouse.

Hitmen77
05-22-2008, 10:46 PM
End the Toby Hall experiment now!!!! KW knows he's finished, but is only keeping him because they paid him good money.

angiew
05-23-2008, 09:07 AM
I don't like Toby Hall, probably never will...but I'll give the guy his props. He was in a zone last night going 3-3.

btrain929
05-23-2008, 09:11 AM
I don't like Toby Hall, probably never will...but I'll give the guy his props. He was in a zone his last 2 starts going 6-8, jumping his batting avg up from .241-.351.

Fixed it for ya...

Frater Perdurabo
05-23-2008, 09:47 AM
If Toby Hall can be what we all thought he would be when he was signed, it will be a major boost for the Sox. We face a lot of lefties in the AL Central; Hall can be a big asset in helping the Sox win within the division.

jabrch
05-23-2008, 09:51 AM
If Toby Hall can be what we all thought he would be when he was signed, it will be a major boost for the Sox. We face a lot of lefties in the AL Central; Hall can be a big asset in helping the Sox win within the division.

Exactly my thoughts...when he was signed, most people recognized it as a good move. AJ would get to rest a bit more and stay strong. He wouldn't have to see tough lefties often. And Toby would be impactful when playing. The injury last spring hurt a lot - it looks like he may be back in good health now. He'd be a huge asset to us.

btrain929
05-23-2008, 09:54 AM

And the thing is: we don't need him to be that great. Just bat .275, throw out the occasional base runner (like yesterday until Cabrera dropped it) and knock in some RBI every now and then. Last year he was below expectations, this year he is above expectations. Hopefully he keeps up the latter.

jenn2080
05-23-2008, 09:55 AM
A bunch of you owe Skotty an apology for hating on Toby Hall so soon.

TomBradley72
05-23-2008, 09:59 AM
I'm happy for Toby...but this has to be the "softest" .351 I've ever witnessed. If I was the opposition...I'd play the OFs VERY shallow until he proves he can hit anything further than a flare. But as far as back up catchers go...he's delivering.

Since he's collecting a few million dollars from the WSox for his 2 years...sure would like to see him invest in a personal trainer.

skottyj242
05-23-2008, 10:12 AM
I'm happy for Toby...but this has to be the "softest" .351 I've ever witnessed. If I was the opposition...I'd play the OFs VERY shallow until he proves he can hit anything further than a flare. But as far as back up catchers go...he's delivering.

Since he's collecting a few million dollars from the WSox for his 2 years...sure would like to see him invest in a personal trainer.

*** is a "soft" .351? The line forms to the left to kiss my ass. Toby Hall rules my face.

kjhanson
05-23-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm happy for Toby...but this has to be the "softest" .351 I've ever witnessed.

I'd rather Toby hit a "soft" .351 than the hardest .245 ever.

voodoochile
05-23-2008, 10:26 AM
*** is a "soft" .351? The line forms to the left to kiss my ass. Toby Hall rules my face.

Um... dude... TMI...:o: :D:

A soft .351 is a one where the slg is also .351. Which in this case it is. Still it's .351 so no XBH isn't that big of a deal.

spawn
05-23-2008, 10:27 AM
Um...word.:?::tongue:

jenn2080
05-23-2008, 10:28 AM

You are a freak.

spawn
05-23-2008, 10:28 AM
Word squared.

Iwritecode
05-23-2008, 10:49 AM

And I've got a good friend named Ben Davis.

I used to have a good friend named Ben Davis. Then he moved away in grade school and I haven't seen him since.

I mentioned this to Ben Davis (the former White Sox catcher) at Soxfest one time. He didn't really say anything and I got :redface:.

TomBradley72
05-23-2008, 01:11 PM
I'd rather Toby hit a "soft" .351 than the hardest .245 ever.

I agree guys...lighten up...I swear nearly every hit he's had this year has been a "duck snort" or a seeing eye grounder. I haven't really seen him drive a ball yet.

itsnotrequired
05-23-2008, 01:15 PM

Pfft, I'm some other reason will come up for us to hate even more.

Droso5
05-23-2008, 02:09 PM
Like him being alive?

hawkjt
05-23-2008, 02:11 PM
I agree guys...lighten up...I swear nearly every hit he's had this year has been a "duck snort" or a seeing eye grounder. I haven't really seen him drive a ball yet.

Garko hit .600 against the sox with ducksnorts and he drove me nuts last year. toby has the same swing working and it is a beautiful thing.
I wish we had more ducksnort contact specialist at the top of the order...Orlando has to back off a bit and hit little line drives like he did in the first innning last nite. Get'em on, get'em over,get'em in...wins.

October26
05-23-2008, 02:12 PM
To answer the original question - yes, Toby Hall gets hits. He got 3 last night. :bandance:

SSrep
05-23-2008, 02:18 PM
Garko hit .600 against the sox with ducksnorts and he drove me nuts last year. toby has the same swing working and it is a beautiful thing.
I wish we had more ducksnort contact specialist at the top of the order...Orlando has to back off a bit and hit little line drives like he did in the first innning last nite. Get'em on, get'em over,get'em in...wins.

Ducksnort is so 2005, it's duckfart now...

kjhanson
05-23-2008, 02:34 PM
A soft .351 is a one where the slg is also .351. Which in this case it is. Still it's .351 so no XBH isn't that big of a deal.

Baseball Reference has him with two doubles on the year, lifting the SLG% just north of .400.

His "soft" .351 is harder than whatever Renteria, Crosby, Helton, Ichiro, Crawford, I. Rodriguez, Griffey Jr, A. Jones and a host of other big names are hitting.

If you were to rate all 25 positions on this team (3rd starter, starting 2b, setup man, etc) against similar positions on other teams, I think our backup catcher gets an A so far this year. I'll take it.

TDog
05-23-2008, 02:47 PM

It's amazing how good a backup catcher's batting average can look when he has successive three-hit games.

I'm happy for Toby Hall is hitting better. He is on the team for his bat. (I posted as such in a game thread during the losing streak, and a reply came back that he was on the team because of his contract. But ideally, he brings to the Sox a backup catcher who isn't an offensive black hole.)

What has always concerned me about Hall is his defense. He has drawn Buehrle in his last two starts, and Buehrle does a better job of holding runners than some of the other Sox starters. I expect the Angels to run almost at will against Pierzynski. Against Hall, I expect it to be worse.

Eddo144
05-23-2008, 03:11 PM
The whole reason they're called ducksnorts is that they're weak hits that usually don't fall for hits, making them more frustrating when then happen against you.

Cabrera's hit to lead off the game last night was a nice line drive, not a ducksnort. I'll take the line drives, thank you very much.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-23-2008, 03:15 PM
I still think we should have kept Paul Phillips!

A .351 AVG is good no matter how soft or hard a guy hits the ball. You just have to hit 'em where they ain't! Keep it up Toby!:bandance:

skottyj242
05-23-2008, 03:27 PM
The whole reason they're called ducksnorts is that they're weak hits that usually don't fall for hits, making them more frustrating when then happen against you.

Cabrera's hit to lead off the game last night was a nice line drive, not a ducksnort. I'll take the line drives, thank you very much.

Ugh, so everyone here complained (except for a few, and I know who you are, you guys rule) that he didn't hit and he shouldn't have been on the team. Now he is hitting .351 and you are compliaining about HOW he is hitting .351? Some pople just are never happy. I used to know a guy like like this whenever he typed SOX he would put it in capital letters like SOX. He wore tinfoil hats. I hate dark clouds.

voodoochile
05-23-2008, 03:42 PM
Baseball Reference has him with two doubles on the year, lifting the SLG% just north of .400.

His "soft" .351 is harder than whatever Renteria, Crosby, Helton, Ichiro, Crawford, I. Rodriguez, Griffey Jr, A. Jones and a host of other big names are hitting.

If you were to rate all 25 positions on this team (3rd starter, starting 2b, setup man, etc) against similar positions on other teams, I think our backup catcher gets an A so far this year. I'll take it.

Thanks wasn't paying enough attention. Maybe I was thinking of Pablo... Oh well and either way, Hall is pulling his weight and that's a good thing...

spawn
05-23-2008, 03:47 PM
Ugh, so everyone here complained (except for a few, and I know who you are, you guys rule) that he didn't hit and he shouldn't have been on the team. Now he is hitting .351 and you are compliaining about HOW he is hitting .351? Some pople just are never happy. I used to know a guy like like this whenever he typed SOX he would put it in capital letters like SOX. He wore tinfoil hats. I hate dark clouds.
You're just now realizing this? :redneck

TomBradley72
05-23-2008, 03:49 PM

How is stating that it's a "soft" .351 = complaining? It's a ****ing fact. I've watched every game this year (live or recorded on TiVO). I've seen every hit Toby Hall has hit. 90% have been soft flares or seeing eye grounders. Hell, after most of his hits, Hawk is laughing and saying "Look at this...". He hasn't hit a single gapper to the wall or even to the warning track. That's not being negative, it's a statement of fact.

It's not a criticism. It's an observation. I'm happy for him and I'm happy for the WSox.

spawn
05-23-2008, 03:51 PM
How is stating that it's a "soft" .351 = complaining? It's a ****ing fact. I've watched every game this year (live or recorded on TiVO). I've seen every hit Toby Hall has hit. 90% have been soft flares or seeing eye grounders. Hell, after most of his hits, Hawk is laughing and saying "Look at this...". He hasn't hit a single gapper to the wall or even to the warning track. That's not being negative, it's a statement of fact.

It's not a criticism. It's an observation. I'm happy for him and I'm happy for the WSox.
I'm happy for Toby...but this has to be the "softest" .351 I've ever witnessed. If I was the opposition...I'd play the OFs VERY shallow until he proves he can hit anything further than a flare.

That definitely doesn't sound negative.

Dan Mega
05-23-2008, 04:00 PM
That definitely doesn't sound negative.

Nice insight.

Eddo144
05-23-2008, 04:01 PM
Pardon me, skotty? I was definitely not complaining about Toby. I was correcting the poster who wanted more "ducksnort specialists" and then claimed that Cabrera's leadoff single last night was a ducksnort.

Hell, I can't believe anyone was complaining about our backup catcher, especially considering he's hitting .351!

Personally, I don't care if all his hits have been ducksnorts or not; a hit's a hit. However, you definitely don't want to build a team around ducksnort hitters, which is the point I was refuting.

skottyj242
05-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Pardon me, skotty? I was definitely not complaining about Toby. I was correcting the poster who wanted more "ducksnort specialists" and then claimed that Cabrera's leadoff single last night was a ducksnort.

Hell, I can't believe anyone was complaining about our backup catcher, especially considering he's hitting .351!

Personally, I don't care if all his hits have been ducksnorts or not; a hit's a hit. However, you definitely don't want to build a team around ducksnort hitters, which is the point I was refuting.

I was confused. Sorry about that.

turners56
05-23-2008, 04:14 PM
Somebody in the post-game show asked Rongey if Hall will eventually take over for Pierzynski. xD.

skottyj242
05-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Somebody in the post-game show asked Rongey if Hall will eventually take over for Pierzynski. xD.

It wasn't me. I'm not that dumb.

Daver
05-23-2008, 04:16 PM
It wasn't me. I'm not that dumb.

Are you sure?

Eddo144
05-23-2008, 04:18 PM
I was confused. Sorry about that.
No worries, then, skotty. I was confused myself as to your response.

:gulp:

Happy Friday.