PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Strikes Again!

JermaineDye05
04-16-2008, 12:15 AM
Broke the story about Randy Wolf's no-hitter through 6 innings, very next inning he loses it.

manders_01
04-16-2008, 12:29 AM
I'm okay with that. :cool: :redneck

TDog
04-16-2008, 02:09 AM
Are you're implying that ESPN caused the no-hitter to be lost?

Before there was an ESPN breaking into games, there were teams that went hitless through 6 who got hits in the 7th. In the seventh, a pitcher is on his third time through the batting order, and it can be tougher to get hitters out.

Whenever a pitcher has a no-hitter through 6th, newspapers and television stations are advised that there is a possible no-hitter in progress so they can plan for possible breaking baseball news. People are writing and talking about in-progress no-hitters every time they reach the 7th. It didn't keep Mark Buehrle from pitching a no-hitter last year.

When Ken Brett had a no-hitter going with two out in the bottom of the ninth for the Sox in Anaheim in 1976, there was no ESPN to break into the game. No Chicago television station broke into the game. The game wasn't even on television. And yet, thirdbaseman Jorge Orta still misplayed a routine grounder into a hit.

doublem23
04-16-2008, 02:35 AM
I'm not superstitious.... But I'm a little stitious.

Lefty34
04-16-2008, 04:36 AM
Broke the story about Randy Wolf's no-hitter through 6 innings, very next inning he loses it.

Because the breaking of the story was what cause the breaking-up of the no-no. As a pitcher, I admit I'm as superstitious as most: same routine between pitches and whatnot, but the fact is that a pitcher breaks the news of a no-no or a perfect game to himself, and if the breaking news of such pitching perfection is what indeed blows said pitching perfection, then it is a result of the pitcher making a bad pitch, nothing more.

I guarantee you Garland was sitting in the dugout every half-inning with his stupid hat 1/4 on nudging Buehrle in the elbow, "Hey, hey Mark, I know you have a no-no and a perfect game going right now but uhhh....look at my hat, isn't it crazy?" lol. (a total fabrication, of course)

rdwj
04-16-2008, 08:32 AM

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to complain about ESPN. This is not one of them.

Ava83
04-16-2008, 09:01 AM
I am superstitious so I understand what you are saying...but it is news and they will report it. I personally do not say anything.I learned the hard way after opening my mouth during a Sox/Yankee game when Randy Johnson had a no-no into the 7th (is that right?) inning. I asked my seatmate which would be better a Sox rally or a no-no. I still blame myself.:rolleyes:

rdwj
04-16-2008, 09:17 AM
I am superstitious so I understand what you are saying...but it is news and they will report it. I personally do not say anything.I learned the hard way after opening my mouth during a Sox/Yankee game when Randy Johnson had a no-no into the 7th (is that right?) inning. I asked my seatmate which would be better a Sox rally or a no-no. I still blame myself.:rolleyes:

I'm right with you. The other day, against my better judgment, I stepped on a crack in the sidewalk. Within 5 minutes I received a call that my mother was being rushed to the hospital with a broken back!

JermaineDye05
04-16-2008, 09:28 AM
I think people are assuming too much. I wasn't complaining, I've just noticed whenever they break a story about a no-no it tends to be lost. I realize its just a coincidence, I just find it funny. I remember back in 2004 I believe when Johan had no-no through 7 and the second the went to the feed of the game, Crazy Carl hit a blooper down the right field line.

Ava83
04-16-2008, 09:29 AM
I'm right with you. The other day, against my better judgment, I stepped on a crack in the sidewalk. Within 5 minutes I received a call that my mother was being rushed to the hospital with a broken back!

YOUR KIDDING!

I was walking under a ladder, while a black cat was crossing my path, then I dropped the mirror I was carrying when I read that...should I be concerned?

Actually I was teasing about blaming myself...but I do keep my mouth shut (um in that type instance) And sports are really where I tend to be superstitious.

bigsoxfan420
04-16-2008, 10:26 AM
I'm sure they reported it as "Breaking News".:redneck

VeeckAsInWreck
04-16-2008, 10:35 AM
I was listening to Rongey and Stone during Saturday's game. Rongey kept mentioning that Gavin Floyd hadn't allowed a hit. Stone then asked him if he doesn't believe in announcers being responsible for no-hitters being lost and Rongey said "no" to which Stone replied "neither do I".

DSpivack
04-16-2008, 11:15 PM
I think people are assuming too much. I wasn't complaining, I've just noticed whenever they break a story about a no-no it tends to be lost. I realize its just a coincidence, I just find it funny. I remember back in 2004 I believe when Johan had no-no through 7 and the second the went to the feed of the game, Crazy Carl hit a blooper down the right field line.

That's because no-hitters are relatively rare, but pitchers not giving up a hit until the 6th, 7th, whatever, much less so.

People believe in superstitions to make themselves feel better. Fans having them obviously have no effect on what happens in the field.

johnnyg83
04-17-2008, 01:03 AM
That's because no-hitters are relatively rare, but pitchers not giving up a hit until the 6th, 7th, whatever, much less so.

Have you checked the validity of this statement? seems counterintealitive.

Boondock Saint
04-17-2008, 01:11 AM
Have you checked the validity of this statement? seems counterintealitive.

Re-read it. Makes perfect sense. He's commenting on the rarity of no-hitters in relation to 6/7 inning no hitters. In a nutshell, no hitters= rare 6/7 inning no hitters= less rare.

fusillirob1983
04-17-2008, 01:15 AM
I'm not superstitious.... But I'm a little stitious.

Michael Scott - Season 4, Episode 1.

Ava83
04-17-2008, 09:00 AM
People believe in superstitions to make themselves feel better. Fans having them obviously have no effect on what happens in the field.

Here is where I am pathetic...I KNOW that...and yet I still have this odd little streak...maybe I so want to help my team that I give in to the irrational? HMMMMM...who has taken Psych 101?

doublem23
04-17-2008, 09:27 AM
Michael Scott - Season 4, Episode 1.

:cool:

Gotta love The Office.

chaerulez
04-17-2008, 09:50 AM
I was listening to Rongey and Stone during Saturday's game. Rongey kept mentioning that Gavin Floyd hadn't allowed a hit. Stone then asked him if he doesn't believe in announcers being responsible for no-hitters being lost and Rongey said "no" to which Stone replied "neither do I".

I agree that is just silly for a announcer not to mention it. They need to inform the fan listening what is going on. What if someone tuned into the game late, they still deserve to know a no hitter is going on. Out of the millions of people watching the game, someone is mentioning the game is a no hitter.

fquaye149
04-17-2008, 09:53 AM
As a Sox fan, what is our official position on "Jinxes: are there?"?

VeeckAsInWreck
04-17-2008, 10:40 AM
As a Sox fan, what is our official position on "Jinxes: are there?"?

I would say that if we don't believe in curses then we shouldn't believe in "Jinxes".